Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Planning a backcountry fishing trips with wife

Tugrivercopper

I am planning a backcountry camping/fishing trip with the wife. I was looking at The sawtooths in Idaho near Stanley on goat lake and alpine, and sawtooth lakes etc area.but then realized it would be a 34 hour drive from virginia. I would like to cut some time off that drive, so we could possibly have more time to camp and/or check out areas and sight see, likely going to colorado instead, maybe even montana or wyoming if possible if it's closer and get what we want out of the trip.

Basically looking to hike in a few ( ok alot) of miles to remote lakes and streams and fish for cuttthroat, brookies, rainbows etc. of course gold's would be a bonus but not required, i know most people keep those spots secret. Size isn't an issue for the fish, we r just looking to have a good time, camp, catch some fish and enjoy great scenery.

Can anyone PM or mention here some places for me to check out? doesn't have to be specific lakes or streams, just mention and area for me to look over and i can google earth it from there lol.

thanks in advance guys

Check out the area around Platoro Reservoir and the Conejos River in Southern CO. Absolutely beautiful country. There are several backcountry lakes in the area.

Check out the area around Platoro Reservoir and the Conejos River in Southern CO. Absolutely beautiful country. There are several backcountry lakes in the area.

The Conejos country is fantastic and often less over run with folks in the summer than other parts of the state. Probably 24-25 hours. Given southern latitudes, the lakes in the area tend to ice off a little earlier than those further north and northwest.

If you're looking to do a "Lot" of miles on shanks mare - and see some utterly amazing country - the Wind River Range in Western WY is about as perfect a backcountry fishing experience as you'll find, and you've got all the species mentioned. Google maps says ~29 hours. Last time we went deep into the area, it was literally above treeline as far as we could see in every direction. You can do loop trips from 30-60+ miles. Ice will generally be out shortly after July 4, some years later, some earlier. The key to fishing a lot of these locations is getting there as close to ice-out as possible, and before the cutts start spawning in earnest (when they tend to get a little lockjawed - for cutthroats, anyway).

The area around Trappers Lake in the Flat Tops is probably about 28 hours. You can get lost in there for days.

For Golden chances - after the Winds, I'd put the Bighorn NF backcountry in 2nd place. Also probably 26-27 hours.

thanks for the recommendations, although i didn't mention it in the 1st post i also did look at the flat tops and wind river range as well, also looked at the sangre de christos as well, just wanted to see if my research has matched up with some suggestions from people that have done it before so far it has :).

while i know the two areas in colorado don't have grizzlies, does the wind river drainage have them?

Basically looking to hike in a few ( ok alot) of miles to remote lakes and streams and fish for cuttthroat, brookies, rainbows etc.

You would be hard pressed to beat the Flattops. Meeker and the Flattops is my favorite place in Colorado. You can start in the Marvine Drainage (awesome area), and make a big loop. I've fished the Conejos both above and below Platoro and I love that area too. It was my go to get away when I lived in Albuquerque. However, in terms of fishable water and variety of fish, the Flattops wins.

Also, don't over look the Grand Mesa for fishing. There are literally (seriously no joke) hundreds of lakes and streams that are teaming with wild cutthroats, brookies, browns, and bows. Alot of pack in areas as well. Take a look at the CO fishing atlas (http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=FishingAtlas) and select the filter for more remote water and you will see what I am talking about.

Mosquitoes are brutal on the Mesa in the summer, Flattops is a litter better, but there is still alot of them.

Also, there are Golden trout in the Flattops as well.

I was up there yesterday, alot of snow in the shaded areas still. We also saw a brand new elk calf. It was cool.

Have you ever considered the Beartooth Range just to the northeast of Yellowstone? It's incredible country with more high alpine lakes than you can fish in a lifetime. Cuts, goldens, brookies, grayling. Every drainage has lakes with fish. My favorite slice of God's creation.

no but i will look into it, thanks rmyoung

If you are after remote country, awe-inspiring scenery and high-alpine fishing you can't beat the place IMO. Pat Marcuson's book Fishing the Beartooths is a great resource. Shoot me a PM if you have specific questions. There are experts here on the Beartooths. I don't claim to be one of them, but I've made numerous trips into 3 of the primary drainages. I'll sing their praises for as long as I walk the Earth.

I had the privilege of an extended trip in the Wind River Range, as well. It was also unbelievably beautiful. Tons of lakes to fish. You can't make a bad choice.

Last edited:
Back