2016 new zealand tahr hunt

jbm

just returned from a tahr hunt in new zealand. started out a few months ago when a hunting mate in nz got a tahr ballot block for may 7-13 and sent me an invite to join in on the hunt. in the area he got we would be the 2nd group in on this area. the first group of guys was 3 of them hunting from april 3 to may 6. they ended up with only 7 days of rain on a 7 day hunt and only seen like 3 tahr from camp and no shooting. bad news for them but maybe good for us with no tahr taken we would be hunting all the area that no tahr were taken from. we landed on sat and set up camp and started looking at close to 30 tahr bulls via spotting scope right from the tent.
the next morning we ate breakfast and headed up to maybe find a cpl of the bulls we spotted the day before. we got up the base of a mountain and spotted 1 nice bull right off the bat and my nz friend had my montana friend in tow and an hr later the first bull tahr was on the ground. he was on the edge a little cliff at 440 yrds and after the 120gr fired from a 260 hit home the bull dropped over the edge for a 150-200 yrd drop. he landed in a spot that we needed a rope to get down to him. the next morning my nz friend found a way to get to him and a cpl hrs later we were all looking at a 13 1/2" bull that broke off at least 1/2" when he took the fast way down off the cliff

next up was a friend from oz who took a very nice bull right at the rivers edge right before he crossed. he was a solid 12" bull at right in the bottom was easy to get to. next up was me and we headed up towards a area we had seen a few other bulls in. after a 46 hr hike strait up a cliff [ well maybe only a cpl hrs but still seemed strait up to me lol ] we got into a few tahr. 1 young bull with a cpl females so we passed on them and found a nice bull just a few hundred yrds to our left and short climp up. we got in place for a shot and my nz friend gave me back a range of 472 yrds. this past my longest ever shot with my 25x47 but i had a good rest and he looked good in my scope so i took a shot. it landed just under him so i gave him a few more inches up and the second shot hit perfect on the left side of his chest and the bullet stopped on the far side just behind his last rib. he fan about 30 yrds and started to roll down hill for about 50 yrds.

we made it up to him got a few pix skinned and loaded in the pack and headed back hoping to make it to the river before dark. well my slow tired ass was dragging a bit and we all ended up at the river just at dark which made for a fun crossing in the dark. made back to camp about 30 min after crossing the river and had a fast meal then bed time. next morning woke to rain and ended up in camp all day cleaning head skins and sculls for salting. the next morning was still raining so still stuck in camp just relaxing. after a cpl hrs of the hard relaxing we seen a chopper heading our way. he landed and said it would be best to fly out or be left there for a week of rain and gail force winds. took all of us about 10 seconds to all say lets go. so they tell me 2 full days of sun on the west coast is a very good thing
as it turned out they were looking at 700 mm of rain for the next 5 days with very high winds so pulling out was the best thing to do

Attachments

• DSCN2728.jpg
    DSCN2728.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 458
  • DSCN2736.jpg
    DSCN2736.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 467
  • DSCN2737 (1).jpg
    DSCN2737 (1).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCN2742.jpg
    DSCN2742.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 459
  • DSCN2762.jpg
    DSCN2762.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 463
Well done! Sounds like a great hunt.

I have a tahr block early next month and would be happy with two days of fine weather! Will try and get a tahr with my bow.

Super! NZ is near the top of my bucket list. Until then (probably until the kids are out of college), I'll just have to live vicariously! Any and all pics you're willing to post are welcome.

Cool critters. Congrats!

By the way, what is a "Tahr Block?" Is it like a private property lease?

a tahr block is all public land that DOC [ like our forest service ] set aside with very limited number of permits given out. not sure why they do it but i was told it is to manage an older class of tahr. if somebody reading this knows why please had it so we all know why they do it. all the tahr we shot are a little bigger then in other areas i have hunted in nz

Last edited:
If a person is willing they can hike into those tahr blocks without a ballot permit. The ballots are for chopper drop camps. However, who in their right mind would hike in there and out again. I did a ballot tahr hunt in 2012 and was trapped in the tent the whole time. It dumped 10" of rain in 40 hours driven by 100kph sustained winds and gust' of 130kph, at least those were the statistics down at sea level. When the rain stopped it was replaced with snow, lots of it. We called for early extraction as we were soaked and hypothermia was knocking on the door.

A "tahr block" is just permission to land into a public wilderness area - at all other times helicopter landings are not permitted. This wilderness area is true wilderness with no hut or tracks. You can walk there and hunt but this is done by a select few. It really is some of the roughest hunting country in the world. You enter a ballot and if you win you get helicopter access. DOC do this to keep numbers down and also for the hunter opportunities. I also think its part of an agreement between hunters and DOC around culling, having a defined tahr zone and hunter opportunities.

BTW the bulls in this report are about as big as they get and most New Zealand hunters dream of a hunt like this.

Last edited:
thanks for the clearer outlook on what these blocks are for kiwi. yes the ground is very hard going and not sure there is very many hunters that can or even want to try to walk into this block or any other i bet. we had a great time and looking forward to doing it again 1 day if a block permit ever gets drawn again . we go into these hunts planning on seeing a few tahr and if we get lucky enough to find 1 and make a good shot then even better.
we do not go into this trying to find only a record book tahr but if 1 pops up we will take it. the 1 guy on the left took the 13 1/2" with a 1/2" missing after the fall and i dont think it has really hit him yet just how big his tahr really is. the kiwi friend we were hunting with told him it would be like a 30" mule deer or a 380 bull elk . all i know is it was nice to hunt with such good friends and all enjoy the whole aspect of the hunt and not just how big 1 bull is over the next.

That's a great attitude jbm, its enough to be in that country with friends to have a great trip. I agree with your friends assessment re a 380 bull elk.

Thanks for the info.. rough looking country, no doubt.

I too hope to hunt NZ when my kids get a little older.

all i know is it was nice to hunt with such good friends and all enjoy the whole aspect of the hunt and not just how big 1 bull is over the next.
You have summed that up really well JBM.

Looks like tough country to hunt in, i bet you could easily injure yourself.

Cheers

Richard

richard you know i am old and beat down so a fall here and there is in order for me. if its such a bad fall i cant make it out you guys can pick straws for the rifle so there is no fighting over it lol

richard you know i am old and beat down so a fall here and there is in order for me. if its such a bad fall i cant make it out you guys can pick straws for the rifle so there is no fighting over it lol
No problem, i will give out the straws!
Cracking shot in the video and result.
Cheers
Richard

Great read!
I'm over here now! Landed on the 9 th and was out in the weather you describe!
Wind was blowing so hard on tops I thought I was gonna blow away
Looking for a chamois on the west coast for my son now, currently at Fox
Amazing heads there!
Any issues bringing back capes/ skulls to US?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back