Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Off Tomorrow for Romania for Roe Deer.

Southwind

Hope to post photos as we go but we will see. New places, new faces, and new game to chase....I'm giddy!

Sounds like one of those "bucket list" type trips. Look forward to some pics and a story or few!

enjoy yourself!!!!I have to get to Europe to hunt one year.If not to just experience the people

Cannot wait for more pics and story telling! I find the heritage and type of game in Europe very interesting.

We missed our flight from Chicago home so by this time tomorrow I will have more to post. We hunted free ranging Roebuck in the Carpaithian mountains of Romania. In a nut shell it was tremendous, the little Roe is challenging and very fun to hunt.image.jpg

This was a really great hunt in the foothills of the Carpathian mountains in the Vrancia area. This area has abundant roe deer, red stag, a very high population of brown bears, European wild boar, chamois, wolves, foxes and more all wild and fair chase hunting. The eco system is very rich with all kinds of fruit trees, berries growing wild everywhere you look. This is also wine country and I enjoyed some very fine local wines as well as a 40% alcohol plum drink called Palinka which will jump up and smack you if not careful.

We hit the mountain the first morning after we had been up for 37 hours straight and working on three hours sleep. At first admittedly I was sucking a little wind trying to keep up with my 27 year old Ranger Aleen who was very knowledgeable and quite a fan of North American hunting and game. But soon we began to hear the barks of roe deer communicating and the adrenaline kicked in and the hunt was on. We were employing spot and stalk or in some cases hear and stalk and after a few encounters and half way up the mountain Aleen spotted a good buck on a steep ridge above us at only about 80 yards but I had a very small window because of the trees. Still, I managed a quick off hand shot and felt very good about the shot but neither of us was real sure. Aleen went up to look and found some blood and called me up where we very shortly found him not 10 yards from where I shot but over the top of the ridge in some real nasty black berry type bushes. Much to my delight Aleen jumped in and retrieve my first buck.

That evening I went to another beautiful area further down the mountains and went with another ranger. We hunted about 4 hours in the morning and about the same in the evenings as well. This evenings hunt we had several encounters and some opportunities but either the animal was too small or because of low light on what I thought was a good animal I chose to pass.

The food was wonderful but they fed us four times a day and I began to wonder at times if I could eat anymore. They were mostly if not entirely all local dishes of which I couldn't tell you the name of any. My favorite was a stroganoff type roe deer dish. We did have our roe deer incorporated in at least one dish as most meals which was great.

The second day hunt I went with Aleen again to his favorite spot in the range of his village and again started spotting game right away with a buck that was a little too small not 100 yards out of the gate. He guided me across the river a few times and then started gaining altitude and flowed a ridge line about 400 feet above the river. Aleen spotted a very nice buck on the opposing face of the mountain but I couldn't get it picked out and set before the opportunity was gone. We then dropped down to a lower area when Aleen bumped a nice buck in a meadow and as he leaped over a rise to the safety of the woods I was able to get of a quick shot and make contact. We eased up over the edge and found good blood immediately but could not spot the buck so Aleen when back to start tracking from the sign of first blood. As I looked on the next level down I spotted more good blood and looked over yet another terrace in the woods and spotted the buck laying about 15 yards below.

That evening we went back down to the lower area and set up more like a whitetail hunt in the brush at the edge of a what looked like green bean field surrounded by a couple of tree lines and waited. We again had several deer early that were not what we were looking for especially since Aleen knew of an exception buck he had seen in this area. But as light faded it look as though we would not see this buck that evening but was treated to a herd of 8 European wild boars that came into the field. As we watch them for a while we decided to head back towards the road where we would be picked up when Aleen spotted two deer headed directly towards us. I dropped down on one knee and took careful aim as Aleen said it was a good deer so I took the shot taking my second of the day and ending my hunt. This buck was a non-typical with very nice bases and heavy antlers.

It was fast and furious experience and well worth the travel. The human experience and culture was definitely a high light as well as getting to share time hunting with our hunting brethren in another part of the world. I left with new friends and grateful for the honor of hunting these magnificent little creatures.

1st roe.JPGIMG_0381.JPGIMG_0445.JPGIMG_0446.JPGIMG_0473.JPGIMG_0475.JPGIMG_0492.JPGIMG_0496.JPGIMG_0005.jpgIMG_0008.jpgIMG_0009.jpgIMG_0056.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, awesome pictures! Those roes look like they have a lot of character. Looks like a fun hunt!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back