Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Pack out pack

Adamm88

What makes a good pack to pack out meat with? Obviously a good suspension is nessicary but what other requirements? Im looking to hunt a little differently this year and have a kelty redwing 50 amd was wondering if it would work to pack meat out?

Hope my question makes sense tganks in advance

Typically it would need a load shelf, a space between the frame and bag to pack meat without losing the ability to carry other gear and not get the inside bloody to be a true hunting backpack.

A Redwing 50 could pack meat out as a day pack on the inside at least for antelope or deer sized game, but it might be a challenge on larger game.

Your Kelty is designed for fairly light loads, so I wouldn't recommend using it. You get an animal down in the field and your Kelty won't do the job, what are your options?

I am a Kifaru fan. They make great packs and accessories that will literally last a lifetime and do everything a hunter needs. I think the Nomad is a great bag to base your pack system. You'll spend $800-900 to get all you need.

Kuiu makes a pretty nice bag and frame system. The Ultra 3000 is rated to carry 150lbs if you are up to it. They're on sale on the Kuiu website for 25% off. With a rain fly and water bladder carrier, you'd be into that pack for about $300. Add a Kifaru Gunbearer, and you'd have a pretty nice set up. The bag detaches from the frame to allow you to put as much meat as you can carry between the bag and frame, keeping the weight under control and close to your body. Those are important features when you have a heavy load in the terrain commonly encountered on western hunts.

This year I bought an MR dragonslayer (love the modest name) to hunt with, but keep an old external frame pack in the truck.

Thanks for the advice, I probably should have been more specific but this isnt for western hunting, more for eastern US mainly for deer, and possibly bear.

Your pack would work fine for the occasional deer, or bear. I've used lesser packs and survived.

IMO the one must have for a dedicated meat hauler/backpacking hunting rig, is a rigid or semi-rigid frame, a quality waist belt that you can load heavily, and highly adjustable suspension. Most any pack can be made to keep the majority of the weight just above your belt line. Stuff the bottom with light gear, or chinch it tight at the midsection. I don't use a pack with a "meat shelf" or use the sling between the pack and the frame. My two main packs have compression straps that will secure the meat where I want it. Once cinched down a big blob of meat doesn't move around much.

This past season I shot a deer and packed out the meat (deboned) in my older Redwing 50 also. And by "packed out", I mean a whopping 1/2 mile. It'll work, but it wouldn't be my first choice. A "real" pack out pack would have a better suspension and a real load shelf. If I was limited on budget though (I am), then I wouldn't hesitate for something like deer boned out. Not sure about quarters or cape/antlers.

Emrah

This past season I shot a deer and packed out the meat (deboned) in my older Redwing 50 also. And by "packed out", I mean a whopping 1/2 mile. It'll work, but it wouldn't be my first choice. A "real" pack out pack would have a better suspension and a real load shelf. If I was limited on budget though (I am), then I wouldn't hesitate for something like deer boned out. Not sure about quarters or cape/antlers.

Emrah

Im am on a very limited budget so spending $800 on a new pack isnt going to happen, not this year. Im looking at the horn hunter full curl packs. They are close to my budget and seem like what im looking for.

As anyone use Military surplus packs like USMC ILBE?

12047099_1650421838539620_32409494732484769_n.jpg
Im am on a very limited budget so spending $800 on a new pack isnt going to happen, not this year. Im looking at the horn hunter full curl packs. They are close to my budget and seem like what im looking for.

As anyone use Military surplus packs like USMC ILBE?

I have an ILBE and like it. I've used it to pack out deer and antelope. I don't think a boneless elk quarter would be an issue. It is rugged, has a large compartment, but is heavy. That said it's bullet proof. For less than $100 on amazon, I don't see how you could find a better economy pack. You can always upgrade later.

Not sure if they have any left, but camofire.com had Mystery Ranch Metcalfs for about the price of a Horn Hunter.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back