Remington 700 Long Range...Brakes?

hansontyrel

Okay all,

You're all a knowledgeable group so I came here to ask as I can't really find anything else online that gives me a decent answer. First, does anyone have any firsthand experience with Rem 700LR? I purchased one awhile back, added a bipod and a Vortex PST 6-24x50 SFP. I'm looking to add a brake. Only issue I've had is the threaded brakes I've seen none of them come close to matching the barrel. They're either BLACK or they're stainless. If anyone else has this rifle, they'd notice the rifle has an off tint to the barrel and I'm pretty OCD about my weapons being "pretty" especially my long range, handload, competition rifles. This is my first actual build and haven't had luck yet.

I can't answer your question, but I've been looking at those rifles as well. How does it shoot? What caliber did you get?

I have one of the Remington 700 LR in 300 win mag. and it is a shooter. The group below is at 100 yards, 3 shot group with 190 gr. Berger VLD. Recoil isn't bad but that I would say is due to the weight. I can shoo .5 MOA at 200 and have no where near a proper long range scope on mine.IMG_0868.jpg

Okay all,

You're all a knowledgeable group so I came here to ask as I can't really find anything else online that gives me a decent answer. First, does anyone have any firsthand experience with Rem 700LR? I purchased one awhile back, added a bipod and a Vortex PST 6-24x50 SFP. I'm looking to add a brake. Only issue I've had is the threaded brakes I've seen none of them come close to matching the barrel. They're either BLACK or they're stainless. If anyone else has this rifle, they'd notice the rifle has an off tint to the barrel and I'm pretty OCD about my weapons being "pretty" especially my long range, handload, competition rifles. This is my first actual build and haven't had luck yet.

What caliber? If it is not a super-magnum, then lose the break and save your ears and everyone around you.

Find a good gunsmith in your area, and they should be able to match it. My Remington isn't the LR, but my smith blended the brake to where it looks like it's a part of the barrel. It matches the factory matte black finish perfectly as well. The other option would be to cerakote the barrel/brake/action.
Not a great picture, but you can kind of get the idea.
buck1.jpg

If your rifle shoots like golfers, or anywhere close, I wouldn't care if the brake was hot pink. A hunting rifle isn't a collectors item. Being "pretty" shouldn't be a concern. mtmu;ley

If your rifle shoots like golfers, or anywhere close, I wouldn't care if the brake was hot pink. A hunting rifle isn't a collectors item. Being "pretty" shouldn't be a concern. mtmu;ley

I have about $2,300+ into it. I don't want it to look like a bag of smashed assholes. My other hunting rifles aren't much of a concern, but my long range rifle and also the same rifle I use for competition... I want it to look good.

I have about $2,300+ into it. I don't want it to look like a bag of smashed assholes. My other hunting rifles aren't much of a concern, but my long range rifle and also the same rifle I use for competition... I want it to look good.

If you are concerned with how it looks, drop the ~$200 bucks to have the whole thing cerakoted. Otherwise rattle can it. You just aren't going to find an aftermarket part that is going to match.

You could try something like this too, might be a step up from a rattle can. If you are OCD about it, you are probably going to have to drop some $$$.
http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_shakenspray.html

What else did you do to the rifle to spend 2300 dollars? And why do you use a hunting rifle for competition too? Maybe two rifles would work better. mtmuley

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back