Black Powder

Rooster52

Just bought 20 pounds of Black Powder at a sale.It looks to be very old ,maybe 15 years or so. Well kept ,how long will black powder last before going sour ?

Also bought 21 sets of RCBS Dies of various cal. and around 35 boxes of bullets various cal and weights.Also various reloading equipment.

The prior owner was a benchrest shooter,he will not need this any more where he is at now.

A very lucky find !

it wont go sour. They still have civil war canon balls blowing up when they get hit by machinery. If the powder is still sealed up, it will be good.

Rooster, black should be fine if its sealed. Its moisture thats the killer. If you find 375 h&h in that mess of dies I don`t have a set.

That black powder should be fine. I had great results using black powder in my old hammer guns years ago. It is a pain, though, in that it is so corrosive if the barrel is not cleaned thoroughly. Unless you are into the authentic mz shoots etc., find someone who is and sell it. Good find. I talked to a guy in a local store the other day that hit the same type of deal-hundreds of bullets, ammo, powder and reloading stuff for $160.

Among the stuff I bought was an 8 lb container of Accurate Magnum Rifle Powder.I need to look for info on this.No number just says Magnum Rifle Powder?

Think magnum was discontinued 15-20 years ago. My memory says similar characteristics to 4831, that obviously doesn't mean you can substitute directly from recipes. I bet if you email accurate with a caliber and projectile you plan on using they still have load data.

Just found some info on the powder. Use the same data as Accurate 3100.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back