Overly dramatic Eastman's

Oak

Expert
The photo below is a screenshot from an email I received from Guy Eastman yesterday. I find the overly dramatic language normally attributed to the anti-hunting crowd to be ridiculous. Animal murder, really? Baby cow vs. calf? Pathetic effort.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,441
I got that email yesterday and thought the same thing. I used to pay attention to Eastmans, subscribe to their magazine, read their forum etc but I since lost interest partly because other online resources do what they did, but in a better and more modern way. They are somewhat of a relic of a company today and were never that saavy with media and their writing.

Eastman's seems to be less useful by the day, and turning into plain ol click bait. I think I find higher quality things to click on in the margin of my spam email account. Disappointing because he could use his platforms for much better purposes. Too bad, because he has been vocal regarding public lands, may he just found a sweet spot that makes him money.

Well, it worked - it made you look. And I wasn't disappointed to see Dan sink one into a coyote at 83 yards.

I actually like reading the Eastman's stuff these days. All of it can't be perfect.

Now, I'm off to murder some baby prairie dogs..

If you are trying to educate the anti-hunting crowd, it might not hurt to use their language.

That said I don't need any convincing to shoot a coyote, killing them comes as natural to me, as killing calves and fawns comes natural to them.

I had to start laughing when they said, "baby cow". Last time I checked, they were called "calves".

Dan made a good shot-which is norm for him. I generally am tired of their stuff, though. I am sick of the big antler-or-nothing mentality that they promote.

I have a renewed appreciation for Eastman's. Whether anyone likes it they probably have the greatest reach of any media outlets to the eastern hunter about western issues, a la, public land transfer.

If they are vocal about just this point, and are taking up the fight, I will support them. I just don't think we have the luxury of being so selective as to who is on our team.

I have actually been impressed with a couple of there jr. staffers (Dan and Jordan) the last couple of years, even if the bosses have decided hunt ranches with a guide.

If they are vocal about just this point, and are taking up the fight, I will support them. I just don't think we have the luxury of being so selective as to who is on our team.

All I notice is that Guy stirs the pot. Is he really doing anything?

All I notice is that Guy stirs the pot. Is he really doing anything?

Fair, I am guessing he wasn't at the rendezvous, and could probably use his platform for much more than promoting the "trophy deer tour". The only contact I really have from them the last couple of years have been their emails; which probably doesn't paint a great picture.

That being said, they still present an opportunity to make a lot more people aware of the issues if they can be co-opted. From what I can see they are apposed to the likes of SFW/BGF and public land transfer, and are consumed by a ton of folks who just might not be as educated on the issues as some. They are pro public access and getting average DIY hunters out there, so it seems like we have plenty of common ground.

I have a renewed appreciation for Eastman's. Whether anyone likes it they probably have the greatest reach of any media outlets to the eastern hunter about western issues, a la, public land transfer.

I have actually been impressed with a couple of there jr. staffers (Dan and Jordan) the last couple of years, even if the bosses have decided hunt ranches with a guide.

I read their magazine and watch their tv show mainly because the are an "out west" magazine and tv show. I don't like when they are show hunting on private ranches that you and I probably couldn't hunt. Yea they tell us "fair chase" is the only way, but they are still hunting on private land.
The same can be said about Fresh Tracks and this forum, mostly out west. There are some things Big Fin says that I disagree with, but this is his platform and for the most part I really enjoy watching the tv show and interacting with fello Hunt Talkers.

They are both just for entertainment.

Last edited:
Murder implies an awareness you are needlessly taking a life. Humanizes animals. Disney-fication. I do not see how the language in the Eastmans email is productive. Speak the language of the crazies? No.

We should be reaching out to those who are not dead set against hunting. No need to humanize animals to reach those persons.

He had a decent article on public lands a month or so back, as long as he's on the right side of that I hope he reaches as many people with that message as possible. I agree it's a bit dramatic though.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back