Grouse shots

Great as always. Love the photos..

I am curious as how hard it is to get those shots. Do you crawl for a hundred yards or get out of pickup truck and start filming?

Your photos are in my top 5 posts on this forums.

Miss the dog.

Ever thought of making a trip to shoot blue grouse?

Should I throw in the camera on my way west this afternoon?:D

I am curious as how hard it is to get those shots. Do you crawl for a hundred yards or get out of pickup truck and start filming?

Miss the dog.

I am shooting out of a double-bull. Sharpies are easy. I set up blind night before and I can walk in before sunrise. That being said, I usually just sleep in the blind. For sage-grouse, they are much more sensitive and I always spend the night in the blind.

When sage-grouse flush in the morning, they are gone. Sharpies, at least the main lek I shoot, may flush two or three times a morning. If a raptor flies too close, away they go. Usually that means I get a quick stretch and get ready for them to start flying back in. As soon as they hit the ground they are very active.

No worries, GuNR still joins me, but he doesn't get to share the blind.

been watching the sharpies behind my house last 10 days, it really puts a smile on my face before I head to work to watch them guys dancing like crazy,

to bad I don't know anything about taking pics, yours are beautiful, framed on an office wall to stare at all year long,,,

Miss the dog.

25554069503_3928ae602b_c.jpg

I have never shot a hole through a blind. Schmalts once did while hunting up here. I believe it was a Rage that left a big hole.:D
Well, I was at least close.

I spent more time in a ground blind this year than all other years combined. I became a fan of them in the right place/situation. Granted my view was paltry compared to sitting on a lek...

Giving the photo upload a test.

5.3 MB compressed to 45 KB, but process was simple. thanks...

Attachments

• Sharptail-99.jpg
    Sharptail-99.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Thanks.

Took nearly 600 sage-grouse shots this morning, now headed out for a last shot at sharpies.

I swear I never get tired of those pics you take every year of those dancing grouse they are awesome. Thanks!

Back