Deer hunting offer from the UK

devon deer

Hello all,

Well, I have just applied for my Montana NR Big game combo, if I draw it will be my third time hunting in Montana.

I have felt for some time that I should ‘put something back’ into the area’s I hunt, but how to go about it has been a little difficult, I thought of several ways but I have come up with the following.

I live in the UK, South West England, in the beautiful county of Devon, where I was born.
There is no public land hunting anywhere in the UK; hunting is only accessible by paying an outfitter, or by having private access to farms. So for the visiting hunter it can be very frustrating, so this is where I come in.

I am offering to take a US resident hunter from this site on a hunt in my home county, depending on the time of year it will be Red/Fallow/Roe deer (strict season's in force), no tags necessary, shoot what you like, and as many as you like, it will take place over 2 days, 4 outings in total (more if I don’t have to work!) the only condition is you give a donation to the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, I am thinking $250 would be fair.
As an example, to shoot a trophy red stag with an outfitter is going to cost you around the $2500 mark, though just like Elk hunting, nothing is guaranteed!
It’s on a first come first served basis, maybe you are just visiting the UK and could do a little diversion to hunt, or tracing your ancestral routes, in the UK or neighboring Ireland, we could just fit in a couple of days hunting.
You can use my rifle, but insurance to shoot over here is necessary with the landowners, but it can be obtained over in the UK for around $50.
Plenty of cheap accommodation nearby and some great English pubs with real ale

You will have a great time, I guarantee it, and even if we don’t shoot anything it will be fun hunt.

Cheers

Richard

PS, i have run this past Randy and he has given me the go ahead to post the thread.

Devon,
That is an awesome offer and a great way to give back through Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (a great organization). Wish this offer was around last year, I would have jumped at the chance to hunt in your country when I was there last summer.

Last edited:
Wow. I wish I had the cash to go. That's a great offer. Very generous of you!

Although, I'm a little offended of your term "real ale"

Are you saying that Yankees don't know how to brew? :D :D

Devon,
That is an awesome offer and a great way to give back through Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (a great organization). Wish this offer was around last year, I would have jumped at the chance to hunt in your country when I was their last summer.
Sorry, that's a real pity, Roe Bucks would have been rutting then.

Although, I'm a little offended of your term "real ale"

Are you saying that Yankees don't know how to brew? :D :D
Of course not, i have tasted your attempts at brewing real ale, I took a liking to Moose drool!
But i have a pub near me with 21 real ales on tap all the time!

Cheers

Richard

Dang, I'm going to be over in the UK next month but won't have the time.
Don't worry, that is probably the worst time, reds will have cast their antlers, and females out of season, only roe bucks in season and they might still have velvet on.
Cheers
Richard

I'll send u a PM Richard...I'll likely be coming to London for a wedding within the next yr !!!

Last edited:
OK, a few pm's received, some asking the same question, seasons.
Lots of good information on here http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/
http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/uploads/guides/89.pdf

If i were a US resident visiting England (Scotland have different seasons) i would come over in January/February, but if you are bringing your non hunting partner then Summer is best.
So for example, where i hunt, in January, you can shoot male/female Red and Fallow deer, also female Roe Deer, but not the Roe Buck.

If you visited in the summer it's only Roe Bucks, until August, then the stags/bucks come in season, but the latter will be in velvet and we tend not to shoot them until they are in hard antler.

Cheers

Richard

I'm just jumping on here to say that this is a very nice offer!
As for you putting in for Montana, expect to be going on your third trip this year! Hope to hear some great stories from whoever jumps on this offer, and from your trip to Montana!

Well played, sir! I just wish I had the time and money available to take you up on your offer. Someday...

Great offer! We're saving up for a down payment on a house right now, but hopefully this works out well with someone.

Hi All,

To be fair, as i have had so many inquiries, i think names in a hat would be the right way to go.
So i will leave it a week, then make a draw and offer it up, if that person turns it down the next out will be offered it.

Then i will have to work out a way to get the donation to BHA from the lucky guy.
I am in touch with them at the moment.

Cheers

Richard

Of course this offer will be accompanied by daily updates for those of us who can't make it to Ye Merry Olde England????? It would be a cool thread.

Of course this offer will be accompanied by daily updates for those of us who can't make it to Ye Merry Olde England????? It would be a cool thread.

Absolutely!

I just completed another challenge this afternoon, i took out a guy who had never succeeded in hunting deer, all he had to do was make a generous donation to Help For Heroes (like your wounded warrior) and i would do my best for him.
So we spotted some red deer, worked out a plan, and he nailed a big red hind, job done, well not exactly, it still took 2 1/2 hours getting it out, i was going to take him again in the morning but he is too knackered!

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back