Caribou Gear

Podcast - request for topics

One topic that I feel is becoming more and more relevant, and is being polluted with misinformation, is the discussion of monolithic, or solid copper bullets being used in big game hunting. We recently had Chris Parish from the Peregrine Fund as a guest speaker to a group of hunters here in the Ruby Valley, and I have to say I was very impressed in his unbiased, professional, and hunter prospective. He was able to simply cut through the BS and state the scientific evidence he has collected, then let the listeners make an informed decision for themselves. I think Chris would make an informative and entertaining guest for your podcast. The success they've had from hunters in Arizona, on a purely voluntary basis, is incredible and inspiring. I believe we as hunters when faced with a set of facts will most often and voluntarily, do the right thing. Whether it is Chris or someone else, it would be nice to hear some discussion on this topic on a larger stage. Steve Rinella in a recent Meateater podcast, briefly touched on the issue and alluded to the lack of science and information. I believe the science is there, it is just being misconstrued by those unwilling to listen. Anyways, one for you to mull over.

Last edited:
How about tips on how to use hunting pressure to your advantage? As an eastern public land/small parcel private land Hunter, I try to predict how other hunters will influence deer movement, and try to take advantage of that. Curious if/how you do this with elk/mulies.

I would like to know more about late season mule deer, especially with a bow! In the Christmas to New years time frame

Randy,

You may have covered this in another session, but I'll throw it out anyway. After doing our virtual scouting, and narrowed down our choices. Can you cover some questions we would want to ask the biologist for the area in which we're going to be hunting? Should we contact them right out of the gate? Or should we do our homework first and have questions ready to ask? If so, what are some good questions we'd want to find out?

First, an unabashed compliment: I recently broadened my podcast horizons and spent a day of driving listening to the Gritty Bowman and Jay Scott podcasts. Both were excellent in content, and I would recommend to anyone. However, I must say that when Big Fin goes unfiltered, his passion and captivation has both beat, hands down.

I would love to hear from a state BCHA representative who can give some details on what it takes to run/manage a state chapter, and what assistance BCHA provides. Additionally, maybe some info on which of the national conservation organizations have 501(c)(4) sub-organizations that can participate in litigation on public land issues, and how to contribute or assist those separate sub-organizations.

Randy,

You may have covered this in another session, but I'll throw it out anyway. After doing our virtual scouting, and narrowed down our choices. Can you cover some questions we would want to ask the biologist for the area in which we're going to be hunting? Should we contact them right out of the gate? Or should we do our homework first and have questions ready to ask? If so, what are some good questions we'd want to find out?

This is a great idea. I am planning to call biologist in Gunnison County in the next couple of weeks and it would be great to not sound completely ignorant!

I'd agree with Jram and Bowhunter60 as well as Maxx. However, listening to an older podcast on virtual scouting for a 5 day hunt, I'm curious about day hunts. I'm fortunate enough to to live in my hunting state, but most often only do day hunts. How would your tactics and methodology change for a day hunt? Or do you do the same thing but spread across longer times since the days aren't back to back?

I do not know if you could do an entire podcast on this but info on Cow hunts and cow behavior I think would also be good.

May I suggest Joe Rogan as a guest if at all possible?! I feel like the conversation power of that talk could be off the charts! Love what you're doing Randy.

One topic that I feel is becoming more and more relevant, and is being polluted with misinformation, is the discussion of monolithic, or solid copper bullets being used in big game hunting. We recently had Chris Parish from the Peregrine Fund as a guest speaker to a group of hunters here in the Ruby Valley, and I have to say I was very impressed in his unbiased, professional, and hunter prospective. He was able to simply cut through the BS and state the scientific evidence he has collected, then let the listeners make an informed decision for themselves. I think Chris would make an informative and entertaining guest for your podcast. The success they've had from hunters in Arizona, on a purely voluntary basis, is incredible and inspiring. I believe we as hunters when faced with a set of facts will most often and voluntarily, do the right thing. Whether it is Chris or someone else, it would be nice to hear some discussion on this topic on a larger stage. Steve Rinella in a recent Meateater podcast, briefly touched on the issue and alluded to the lack of science and information. I believe the science is there, it is just being misconstrued by those unwilling to listen. Anyways, one for you to mull over.

I will second this suggestion. I heard the same MeatEater podcast and then tried to do some research myself. A lot of the information I found is very strongly worded against lead bullets. They don't leave much room for discussion. On the other hand, you have guys that have been hunting and fishing (lead sinkers, etc) for their entire lives with no noticeable effects. Maybe we just don't have good methods for measuring the damage that is being done. In any case, I would like to hear an unbiased expert opinion and some discussion of the cost (increased ammo prices) vs risk (how much damage, if any, are we causing to our bodies and our family members' bodies).

May I suggest Joe Rogan as a guest if at all possible?! I feel like the conversation power of that talk could be off the charts! Love what you're doing Randy.

Thanks. Joe picks his guests and is seldom a guest on other podcasts. It is my understanding that he picks his guest based in large part on audience requests.

I will second this suggestion. I heard the same MeatEater podcast and then tried to do some research myself. A lot of the information I found is very strongly worded against lead bullets. They don't leave much room for discussion. On the other hand, you have guys that have been hunting and fishing (lead sinkers, etc) for their entire lives with no noticeable effects. Maybe we just don't have good methods for measuring the damage that is being done. In any case, I would like to hear an unbiased expert opinion and some discussion of the cost (increased ammo prices) vs risk (how much damage, if any, are we causing to our bodies and our family members' bodies).

This really comes down to two issues - Environmental concerns and food concerns.

The environmental concern has many points of discussion, with two being most focused in our arena. First topic is the impact lead has one scavengers. Are birds and other scavengers ingesting dangerous amounts of lead from gut piles and carcasses. The second topic is the impacts lead has when being scattered across the landscape or waters. It is this point that lead to non-toxic shot being required for waterfowl.

The food concern is about lead fragments being found in game we shoot and consume. There seems to be some big differences in research that I have read.

Notwithstanding the points of ongoing debate above, I have found my Nosler E-Tip bullets to be very, very lethal on everything I have aimed at.

Thanks. Joe picks his guests and is seldom a guest on other podcasts. It is my understanding that he picks his guest based in large part on audience requests.

Well Steve Rinella has been on there a couple of times maybe he could connect the two. I would absolutely die hearing the two of you discuss anything, hell it could be talking about paint drying and I would be in lol.

Well Steve Rinella has been on there a couple of times maybe he could connect the two. I would absolutely die hearing the two of you discuss anything, hell it could be talking about paint drying and I would be in lol.

Yeah, Steve takes Joe on some hunts for the Meateater TV show, so they have established a pretty good relationship. Steve texted me a few weeks ago and asked if it was OK to give Joe my contact information. Guess we will see if anything comes of that.

Yeah, Steve takes Joe on some hunts for the Meateater TV show, so they have established a pretty good relationship. Steve texted me a few weeks ago and asked if it was OK to give Joe my contact information. Guess we will see if anything comes of that.

Great! Again, love the podcast, show and all content from you sir. Maybe we'll see you in the Montana hills during hunting season. Good luck!

That's pretty cool. The hunting community has a lot of advocates, but through no fault of their own many of them are in an echo chamber. Through Steve Rinella taking him on his first hunt in the Breaks a few years back, Joe Rogan is someone reaching out to people outside of that echo chamber about the benefits and relevancy of hunting. He may be a bit edgy and hold beliefs that are contrary to the socially conservative mindset that is prevalent in the hunting community, but he is articulate and passionate and gets the importance of public lands. He has become an important and widely listened to figure when it comes to communicating what hunting is about to non-hunters.

That's pretty cool. The hunting community has a lot of advocates, but through no fault of their own many of them are in an echo chamber. Through Steve Rinella taking him on his first hunt in the Breaks a few years back, Joe Rogan is someone reaching out to people outside of that echo chamber about the benefits and relevancy of hunting. He may be a bit edgy and hold beliefs that are contrary to the socially conservative mindset that is prevalent in the hunting community, but he is articulate and passionate and gets the importance of public lands. He has become an important and widely listened to figure when it comes to communicating what hunting is about to non-hunters.

I have been listening to Rogan since he first was on Meateater and its been remarkable to watch his passion for hunting grow and his level of understanding of it expand. His reach is undeniable and is good to maybe help shed light on hunting to those who may not understand it. Albeit sometimes not as poetically as Steve or Randy but still spreading the good message. I think he is an important merger of two worlds.

I could make a pretty easy argument that he has a very powerful voice right now when it comes to hunting simply because his reach is so far beyond the typical hook and bullet crowd. Would live to see Randy as a guest with him.

This has become quite a long thread so I hope I am not repeating any suggestions. After listening to most of the Meat Eater and Hunt Talk Radio I've really started to wonder about conservation history. I know it starts with Teddy Roosevelt and moves forward but I think I would like a guest who can really go in depth with conservation history. Who were the big icons of conservation history? How did conservation become what it is today? I know this topic has been brushed on previous podcast but I think every hunter should know the history of conservation and frankly why hunting is so important. Big Fin- do you have any reading suggestions on books to further my knowledge on conservation history?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back