Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Podcast - request for topics

Medical Emergencies

I have never heard of any hunting podcast discus the inevitability of medical emergence while in the field. The biggest killer of honest outdoorsman and women is not an accidental discharge of a gun. It's cardiac arrest. What can we as hunter do to educate ourselves about these emergencies before they happen. I myself am a firefighter/EMT in Wisconsin and every hunting season we get called to lost hunters, people falling out of their tree stands, and sprained muscles from falls. I believe a little awareness and prior planning will lessen the amount of emergencies. Also, what to pack in a first aid kit. I have seen many first aid kits the size of a sandwich bag do a lot more help than one the size of a game bag.

Being a public land archery hunter in Colorado, I am having more and more interactions with mountain bikers (and dirt bikers), trail runners, and other recreationalists. These encounters aren't always 1mi from the road, but instead are sometimes 2-4+ miles back into the units I hunt. I'm also running into a lot of planned activities (endurance races, mountain bike races, etc).

As these types of activities continue to increase in popularity and the encounters get deeper and deeper into the woods, I'd expect the number of negative interactions (spooking elk coming into a call, blowing a stalk on a mule deer, etc.) begin to increase...which may elevate tensions between recreational groups that will eventually need/want to be on the same side of the public land access issue.

Are you noticing the same trend? How do we, as hunters, balance our relationship with potential allies to our cause while considering some boundaries that respect the wishes of both groups.

Complicated topic, but I'm struggling with it.

Hi Randy;

Some topics;

1) Shooting downhill and uphill. What adjustments if any are required?
2) Which would you use first on a charging grizzly. Bear spray or gun?
3) Have your wife as a guest. Let's hear her perspective on your passion.
4) Have a rookie hunter as a guest.
5) What do you do in the offseason to stay in shape? What is your diet besides elk meat? Are there any "no go" foods?
6) Before you became famous, what qualities did you look for in a hunting partner? How did you find your partners? Or did they find you?
7) Hunting in other countries. Red Deer (elk) in New Zealand
8) Your thoughts on glassing techniques.
9) What are your top five hunting books?
10) What to look for in a taxidermist?

Randy,

Love the podcast. Listen to every episode. I'd love to hear more about your researching techniques. I know OnXMaps, but what about scouting pre-season, local contacts, etc.
And a small point of criticism - you talk too softly! I turn the volume up to max and can often barely hear you. Your guests are usually much louder than you, so I'm convinced it's you. Thanks for all you do.

If I have missed this topic anywhere, here on the forums, on your podcast or even in the videos, please let me know.....

Long distance scouting.... How you truly use Google Earth/Topo Maps/ etc. to decide what areas you are going to hunt in a given(unknown) area. I understand the food-water-shelter aspect and can read a topo map like everyone else. What I'd really like to understand is "the why" you chose to hunt a certain draw vs. the next one over. Or, this valley compared to the one 5 miles away that looks to have the same characteristics on map.

This is definitely the topic I am most interested in as well. When I look at the available maps for the area I hunt I cannot find differences between several areas that don't hold elk and those that do. If I was going into a new unit I wouldn't feel confident in my ability to zero in on an area of manageable size with confidence it will hold elk.

How can we stand up to Weyerhaeuser. They get land at exorbitant discounts promising access then renege and continue to reap the benefits.

He promised me that he would do so when he came to MT this year. I had hoped to get him, Greenhorn, and PSinclair to talk elk hunting. So far, no takers. I might need to offer a higher quality beer than PBR.

Pat Sinclair? That'd be a great podcast.

I don't watch much TV, but had some spare time the last few days to watch some Fresh Tracks, and listen to a couple pod casts. Nice work all around. I hadn't seen one of your shows in a long time and the quality of production, the "acting" and overall tone is entertaining.

How about a going into detail of logistics of a hunt. I has to be near monumental to get a truckload of crap up a mointain, in a small plane, boat, halfway across the country etc. We might all learn a bit from the methods you've perfected over the years. Seems like a popular topic.

Other topics I'd be interested in:
Firstaid, and self rescue, navigation, freak weather, prepares for the worst, etc.
Fleshing/caping/field care of meat and hides, meat transport
How much beer is "too much?" I may not be an expert, but I could play one on TV, just say'n.

I would be interested in hearing a discussion about the idea of managing federal public lands for multiple use with someone who has held a management position with USFS or BLM. I think it would be educational for listeners who don't really understand what the multiple use mandate means, or the challenges it presents.

Something about how to mentor or introduce kids and/or new adult hunters would be interesting as well. How do new people find mentors, and vice versa? I read all the time that there are people out there who would like to try hunting but they can't find a mentor. Conversely, I'd be willing to give my time to show someone the ropes, but everyone I know already hunts. How do people bridge that gap? I think a lot of parents also wonder how to balance teaching kids about the outdoors and hunting without going too overboard. Maybe having a long-time mentor share some wisdom/experiences would be educational. I know some of the guys who have done a lot of mentoring are getting a little long in the tooth to be tromping the hills and dragging out kids animals. How does a new generation of mentors get started?

I'd like to hear what Chuck Adams is up to these days and any insight on archery elk hunting he could offer. He was someone I looked to when I first got into hunting.

Agreed, and how you practice long distance shooting and other shooting tips.

The episode with Shannon and Vito was excellent. You may have covered it in bits or pieces in other threads, but I am beginning to think you may need to dedicate an episode for a Civics for Sportsmen lesson (this might be more suitable for youtube). If we can better understand how ideas traverse the legislative process and who holds the reins at each step, it'll help folks focus their energy in the right places (commission meetings vs letters to politicians). Having a couple examples of small regional/state level issues and how it works through the process is a good primer before jumping into bigger federal management questions.

If you feel you already covered this enough in a previous podcast (I know you went into detail on the wolves topic), I'll re-listen and see if it sinks in.

I absorb this kind of information quickly, and it still hasn't sunk in for me.

How about some interviews with biologists that have done or are in the middle of some research. Maybe somebody who is an expert in specific behaviors of a particular species. Being a former ecology student, I really enjoy scientific data and evaluating the results.

How about some interviews with biologists that have done or are in the middle of some research. Maybe somebody who is an expert in specific behaviors of a particular species. Being a former ecology student, I really enjoy scientific data and evaluating the results.

I second this. Nick Decesare would be a great start.

I'm new here so please forgive any unintended ignorance. If this has been covered in depth previously, please send me in that direction.

Similar to CaddisShack, I'm would love to see more information about some of the legislature. For instance, I think an in depth look of the Pittman Robertson Act would make for a great discussion. I would like to see exactly where our excise tax goes state by state. I know the PR Act is referenced a lot as being one piece to conservation that every sportsman contributes to, but I would love to hear an expert detail exactly how and where the funds are allocated. Which habitats have been acquired as a result of the Act? What are the greatest success stories coming out of this Act? Where were the major misallocations that resulted in the amendment in year 2000? I know it's a big subject to tackle, but these recent podcasts and stealing your lands discussions have my wheels churning and wanting more.

I just got through watching a Wyoming hunt. Maybe you could go in depth about deboning and packing the bull out. Honestly, this is the one thing that intimidates me more than anything. How do you keep predators away from your kill while you pack portions out? If you are alone, how many trips does it take to pack the entire animal out? What happens if you kill one on the final day of the hunt, do you have to leave yourself an extra day in case this happens?

Randy-
I found your podcast on the elk application process through out the western states to be very helpful. So helpful, that this year I applied in other states for the first time. Could you possibly do the same for deer/antelope? And maybe a short synopsis for the big 3?

Thanks
Jon

Randy,

I enjoyed the last pod cast. You hit on how you Elk hunt a new area. Have you thought about touching on hunting your old faithful spots? I know there are a lot of guys that go the same old spots year at year after year.

That can be great but I am sure you can add some perspective of things to watch out for, ways to do it better, etc.

Being an east coast guy who needs to fly to most hunt grounds due to limited vacation time, it would nice to hear the ins and outs of what to do with meat once you get it out of the field. Best ways to locate processors, how to get the meat home (ship it or fly it on the plane) as well as any other useful tips you could provide. I think that would be a very helpful topic for all hunters who can't drive to their locations.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back