Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Nilgia at Laguna Atascosa NWR

Woden

Hey folks,
I found out I was drawn to hunt whitetail, hogs, and nilgai at Laguna Atascosa NWR. This refuge is in deep south Texas just across the Laguna Madre form South Padre Island. It's a low fence, free range hunt, as fair chase as it gets. I hear these nilgai are very wild and challenging to stalk.This sounds like an awesome hunt.
Has anyone here hunted nilgai? Do you have any pointers?

never have hunted that area but I have a few friends who have. I remember them saying they would use mountain bikes to get in past the crowds. I'd go into it expecting nilgai to be spooky. Don't underestimate them busting you with their eyes. I'd also expect them to bed in pretty thick brush when available. And finally, shot placement is key. I wouldn't believe the hype that they are invincible but make it count if you get a shot. I hope you don't have to deal with either, but be prepared for rattlesnakes and mosquitoes. Good luck!

Is a nilgai some kind of hog?

large antelope brought in from India back around 1920 or so.......they are free range on some of the low fenced ranches in deep south Texas.....roughly along the coast from Kingsville down to Port Mansfield....and east of Hwy 281. Dang near as big as an elk.....

My son went on a youth hunt there, 3 or 4 years ago. The hunt was in March, and we suffered through 95 degree weather. Saw a few, but never was able to even get close enough to even consider a shot. There were a couple killed that weekend though. Saw plenty of hogs and a few deer. Don't think they have any type of blinds on the place, when we were there we all used popup blinds. The area is obviously flat, but there are quite a few big open pastures. They have a cooler there for cold storage, don't know if you will get to use it or not.

When we were there, they took us out in trucks, but like I said that was a youth hunt, might not let you use a vehicle. The roads were good. You know about the squeeters and rattlers already. There is some type of jaguar there. They are real protective of it. Do not shoot one.

That is all I can think of right now. Good luck

large antelope brought in from India back around 1920 or so.......they are free range on some of the low fenced ranches in deep south Texas.....roughly along the coast from Kingsville down to Port Mansfield....and east of Hwy 281. Dang near as big as an elk.....
Here's what they look like. Thanks for the input guys.

nilgai

Whoa! Thanks for the info.

so I got 3 hunts in this area. one at tineinte and 2 at atascaro… sorry for spelling. I am new to texas and I am super excited.
thinking of trying to get as much info on locations as I can. I have 2 box hunts for deer but the hogs and Nilgai are unlimited.
Anyway, how did you do??? any info ??

Mario

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back