Caribou Gear

Gutless Field Dressing and Care of Game Demonstration

Gutless cleaning of an elk is no different than a deer or anything else. It is so easy a cave man can do it! People make too much out of the process. I have been doing it for years on elk and deer and it is a very simple process. I have done 123 white tails and several elk with it and you just have to DO it. Just get your hands in it, do a gutless process and then go home and cut it up. Lots of fun, lots of good meat and NO BIG DEAL!

It does not matter if you cut them along the belly, the back, the leg or whatever. The bottom line is use a little common sense and don't cut the guts in the process. I cannot describe real well the process that I use and really I don't think that I do it exactly the same every time.

It does not take a video or seminar to do this. Look at the animal and use a little commons sense and it is obvious what to do.

Also, would you be offended if it was surrounded by advertisements of all the products we use to do this gutless method, if that allowed the video to be provided free of charge.

Heck no. In fact if the stuff looks useful, I would probably buy one. Adds to the fun and makes my life easier.

If we made it available for download at a nominal fee, say $1, would you download it for reference in the field?

How do I order one?

Definitely. I have had the good fortune to have done the gutless method a number of times, but continue to watch how-to videos and read about it - I learn something each time. Just like I continue to watch shows on elk hunting!

How long of a video would you watch on this topic? It took me 60 minutes, when stopping for pointers and filming every cut. I am sure we can drop some of the cutting and carving sections to make it shorter. I am curious if guys would reject anything over 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or what length.

As far as length goes, I would be interested in an entire TV episode length (20 minutes), although I probably need to get a life. However downloading a 20 minute video would probably take all night on my slow DSL line. I suggest $1 for a 5 minute download version, and include a full-length version on the DVD.

By the way, when does the next video come out? I am the guy that does not have cable.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you get the heart and liver without gutting?

Gutting a deer takes about 5 minutes, and its worth it for the organs.

I've seen a few videos on the topic. They all seem to leave something to be desired. That being said, I was able to use the information to get the mule deer I killed in Colorado dressed and I think I did an ok job for my first time. I think a video in the 10-20 minute range could show all of the information needed to get the job done. I'd suggest the video focus on the following things:

- how to skin the deer for a shoulder mount
- where to make the cuts for skinning the deer
- where to make the cuts to separate each of the quarters (spending more time on the hind quarter)
- how to leave proof of sex attached
- how to get at the tenderloins

Suggestions on how to detach the lower limbs (below the knees) and how to minimize the amount of hair on the meat would be appreciated! I've seen videos in the 10 minute range that seem to cover most of this. I would think it could be edited to 20 minutes and give a little more detail and also be more than enough to cover what needs to be covered!

We are in the process of editing out a clip of how to do this on a whitetail deer, so people can practice on deer-sized critters, prior to having a big elk as their first attempt.

How long of a video would you watch on this topic? It took me 60 minutes, when stopping for pointers and filming every cut. I am sure we can drop some of the cutting and carving sections to make it shorter. I am curious if guys would reject anything over 5 minutes, 10 minutes, or what length.

Also, would you be offended if it was surrounded by advertisements of all the products we use to do this gutless method, if that allowed the video to be provided free of charge.

If we made it available for download at a nominal fee, say $1, would you download it for reference in the field?

Just curious, as we have an editor working on it right now. We will also be doing the full version on an elk when we get one down this fall.

I have a couple questions:
1) Would the ads reduce the picture size, for those referencing in the field? That might be an issue.
2) Can you have it done a few days ago, so I can use it on my raghorn bull? I chickened out and used the old method - sucked as much as I remember, then couldn't lift the whole bull in anyway.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you get the heart and liver without gutting?

Gutting a deer takes about 5 minutes, and its worth it for the organs.

After you get the meat off and away from the body, you can go back in and get the extras if you like. The gutless method just makes it neater to get the meat without a huge mess and you are not packing out excess bone weight etc. I always completely bone out my elk and hang them in bags. Just the meat is heavy enough.

Just a bump to remind folks that this is coming up Wednesday in Helena.

Hope to see some folks there!

Hi Chaps,
I posted a clip of the gutless method on a UK deer forum, and gave the reasons behind it.
One guy has asked when you have done the bulk of it and just have the tenderloins to go why risk puncturing the stomach when you could then just gut as normal, i assume its just cleaner to leave the guts in throughout.
Most deer in the UK can be extracted from the field fairly easily, they don't appreciate the difficulties you have where you all hunt.
Cheers
Richard

Hi Chaps,
I posted a clip of the gutless method on a UK deer forum, and gave the reasons behind it.
One guy has asked when you have done the bulk of it and just have the tenderloins to go why risk puncturing the stomach when you could then just gut as normal, i assume its just cleaner to leave the guts in throughout.
Most deer in the UK can be extracted from the field fairly easily, they don't appreciate the difficulties you have where you all hunt.
Cheers
Richard

I've done this on dozens of animals and never punctured the stomach getting the tenderloins. On smaller sized animals you can almost pull the tenderloins out by hand, but I typically still use a knife because they are so tender that sometimes they actually pull apart if you use too much force.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back