Colorado Members, part 2

As someone who hunts out east more and more, um... No Sir!

Do these changes in any way have to do with the combination of Wildlife and Parks?

Do these changes in any way have to do with the combination of Wildlife and Parks?

No, the review committee worked on this proposal for 2 years. This is a good example of why I was very concerned with the proposed (and now approved) new Commission composition. The new commission includes:

3 landowner/agriculture reps
1 outfitter rep
2 sportsman's reps
2 at-large reps
3 recreationist reps, one which must be from a non-consumptive non-profit group

The average hunter who hunts on public land is really poorly represented now. These are the people that will be making the rules now. Few hunters bothered to stand up and voice an opinion when they had a chance, so I guess they deserve what they get.

Oak - No
Summitthunting -
Big Slick - No
putm2sleep -
Mudranger1 - No
JohnCushman - No
Pagosa - No
jlmatthew - No
justdada - No
sneakem - No
Dinkshooter - Maybe
Outdooraddict -
van franke - No
Khunter - No
T Bone - No
arffdog875 -
Zach - No
newhunter20 -
ColoradoOverwatch - No

Purple is gay.

I'll most likely be camped next weekend with someone that was on the voucher review committee and more than likely one of the commissioners will be in camp stealing beer, how should I proceed?

No, the review committee worked on this proposal for 2 years. This is a good example of why I was very concerned with the proposed (and now approved) new Commission composition. The new commission includes:

3 landowner/agriculture reps
1 outfitter rep
2 sportsman's reps
2 at-large reps
3 recreationist reps, one which must be from a non-consumptive non-profit group

The average hunter who hunts on public land is really poorly represented now. These are the people that will be making the rules now. Few hunters bothered to stand up and voice an opinion when they had a chance, so I guess they deserve what they get.

Here is who was on the committee for those wondering.

Robert Bray
Representing: Landowners
PO Box 65
Redvale, CO 81431
970-327-4779
[email protected]
Robert Bray is a farmer and rancher in San Miguel and Montrose Counties. He also operates a big game hunting business. He is an active member of the Colorado Farm Bureau and Colorado Cattlemen’s Association. He is also very involved in farm credit, having formerly served as Chairman of the Board of Mountain Plains Farm Credit Services and currently as a board member of US AgBank. He served on the Colorado Wildlife Commission from 2005-2009.

Bill Canterbury
2005 CR 4
Howard, CO 81233
719-942-3207
[email protected]
Bill Canterbury operates a cow/calf operation southeast of Salida. He also operates an outfitting business and a fence-building business that has worked on ranches throughout Colorado and the West. He is an active member of the Colorado Cattlemen’s Association and has chaired the organization’s Game and Fish Committee for several years.

Ivan James
Representing: Sportsmen
PO Box 1289
Conifer, CO 80433
303-526-0516
[email protected]
A lifelong sportsman, Ivan James has hunted 11 states, three Canadian provinces and Africa. He has extensive experience as a rifle and muzzleloader hunter, but for the past 30 years the bow and arrow has been his preferred hunting method. He is on the Board of Directors of the Colorado Bowhunters Association and is active in the Colorado Wildlife Federation. He owns and actively manages a timber farm. Ivan retired from a 40 year career with the US Geological Survey in water management.

Dick Ray
Representing: Outfitters
4821 A Highway 84
Pagosa Springs, CO 81147
970-749-4148
[email protected]
Dick Ray resides in Pagosa Springs. He has been a guide and outfitter in South Central Colorado and Northern New Mexico for over forty years. He has been a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association since 1969 and is a longtime member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. He has also been voted a lifetime member of the Colorado Outfitters Association. He served on the Colorado Wildlife Commission from 2005-2009.

Hugh Sanburg
16499 Cedar Park Road
Eckert, CO 81418
970-856-3238
[email protected]
Hugh Sanburg runs a cow/calf operation on public and private land in Delta County. His family’s ranch harbors elk, deer, bear and mountain lion and hosts hunters throughout the hunting seasons. He is in the fourth generation in his family to raise cattle in Colorado. He is an active member of the Colorado Farm Bureau.

John Smeltzer
3015 W Lake Street
Ft Collins, CO 80521
970-690-3598
[email protected]
John Smeltzer resides in Ft Collins. He is an active upland bird, small game and big game hunter. He is a member of several conservation organizations including the Mule Deer Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, the National Rifle Association and the National Wildlife Federation. He is currently on the board of directors of the Colorado Wildlife Federation. John worked for the Division of Wildlife for 22 years, prior to his retirement in 2004.

Mike Trujillo
Representing: Division of Wildlife
600 Pueblo Reservoir Road
Pueblo, CO 81005
303-291-5303
[email protected]
Mike Trujillo is the Division of Wildlife’s Area Wildlife Manager for Area 11 in Southeastern Colorado. Mike has worked for the agency for almost 20 years. He has spent the vast majority of that time on the Eastern Plains, working extensively with private landowners, sportsmen and other stakeholders.

Les White
62 Blackfoot Trail
Gunnison, CO 81230
970-596-0215
[email protected]
A resident of Gunnison, Les White has been a big game hunter for 49 years. He is currently chairman of the Division of Wildlife’s Habitat Stamp Committee. He has experience working with local landowners in the Gunnison area from his time as a member of the Gunnison County Planning Commission. He is also an active member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.

Perry Will
Representing: Division of Wildlife
50633 Hwy 6 & 24
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
970-947-2920
[email protected]
Perry Will is the Division of Wildlife’s Area Wildlife Manager for Area 8, which covers portions of Garfield, Eagle, and Pitkin Counties. Perry has worked for the Division for over 30 years, spending all of that time on the Western Slope. He has a ranching background and grew up in rural Colorado.

And now Robert Bray has been appointed to the Commission. Big conflict of interest if you ask me! :mad:

I like the color purple - good movie - at least I know where the tags are going. They ARE disappearing, as are our opportunitiess to draw and hunt, so I am a yes! I feel they already made this decsion, now the DOW is formalizing it is all.

I like the color purple - good movie - at least I know where the tags are going. They ARE disappearing, as are our opportunitiess to draw and hunt, so I am a yes! I feel they already made this decsion, now the DOW is formalizing it is all.

So you vote yes for increased landowner vouchers.

I think it is a big mistake (LAZY) for sportsmen to think this decision has already been made.

Oak - No
Summitthunting -
Big Slick - No
putm2sleep - Yes
Mudranger1 - No
JohnCushman - No
Pagosa - No
jlmatthew - No
justdada - No
sneakem - No
Dinkshooter - Maybe
Outdooraddict -
van franke - No
Khunter - No
T Bone - No
arffdog875 -
Zach - No
newhunter20 -
ColoradoOverwatch - No

I know there are a few guys on here from El Paso county (CO). Marsha Looper is on the Ag Committee at the State house. Let her know about this mess since thats where it will start in the Legislature and she represents us. Just take a minute and call or email Phone 719-238-5600 E-Mail: [email protected]

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back