Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Default Moving to Wyoming

    I recently accepted a teaching position in Hanna, Wyoming. My family and I will be moving to the area in late July. I know I won't be doing a lot of hunting this year as you have to live there for a year for resident tags, but anyone in the area that woldn't mind sharing info and maybe having a tag-a-long on some hunts that would help pack and do whatever to learn the area I would greatly appreciate it.

  2. #2

    Default

    Shoot me a PM i am in Laramie.

  3. #3

    Default

    spriest---Buy some leftover tags as a NR and hunt as much as you can this Fall. Next year you'll still have to apply for NR tags or buy leftovers as an NR because you won't qualify to even apply as a resident of Wyoming until the 2014 season if you aren't moving there until July.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    8,707

    Default

    You dont have to apply for general elk and deer as a resident...he can buy both OTC next July.

    He could also purchase leftovers after July next year as a Resident as well...most of the LO areas dont sell out.

    The bigger question...I hope you made a trip to Hanna to see what you're getting into...WOW!
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

    "They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    SHREVEPORT, LOUISIANA
    Posts
    4,796

    Default

    Now Buzz, I can't believe you said such a thing about his new town! So I looked it up.....ugh...WOW! LOL John
    http://hannawyoming.org/
    “Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    The bigger question...I hope you made a trip to Hanna to see what you're getting into...WOW!
    Even more importantly...I hope your wife has made the trip!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    La Habra,CA
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRAFTSTUD View Post
    Now Buzz, I can't believe you said such a thing about his new town! So I looked it up.....ugh...WOW! LOL John
    http://hannawyoming.org/
    Did they happen to just get the internet in the area or is there some sort of time warp going on in regards to that website. lol

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Somewhere with my dog
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brentster7189 View Post
    Even more importantly...I hope your wife has made the trip!
    You speaka da truth here man. You should be able to find some good hunting around there.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JLS View Post
    You speaka da truth here man. You should be able to find some good hunting around there.
    And even better fishing, the North Platte, Encampment River and high country Snowy Range all short drives.

  10. #10

    Default

    Yeah, I've been out there to see it. It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, the town isn't as bad as the Internet makes it out to look!
    Wife hasn't been yet! Blind faith, I guess, I'm a lucky man!
    We aren't sure if we'll live in Hanna, Elk Mountain, or Medicine Bow yet, all are viable options and not far.
    I appreciate the help!

  11. #11

    Default

    BuzzH---Thanks for the correction on the tags. I forgot that residents have those tags available and was basically thinking about him not being able to apply for LE tags until 2014 after he's lived there a year.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Gods Country, Colorado
    Posts
    2,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzH View Post
    The bigger question...I hope you made a trip to Hanna to see what you're getting into...WOW!
    That's Funny!! I have to drive out to Hanna every so often to work at an AT&T Fiber ReGen hut. Took me an hour to find it the first time I made the trip. Then I saw it out in the cow pasture.

    I've seen goats out there but that's about it. Thought I saw a badger or wolverine one time, that was interesting.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spriest View Post
    Yeah, I've been out there to see it. It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, the town isn't as bad as the Internet makes it out to look!
    Wife hasn't been yet! Blind faith, I guess, I'm a lucky man!
    We aren't sure if we'll live in Hanna, Elk Mountain, or Medicine Bow yet, all are viable options and not far.
    I appreciate the help!
    That's one of the nastiest, windiest, iciest stretches of the state. Live as close as possible to work and avoid the continuous ground blizzard. I love that country. It's clean.
    In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.
    Theodore Roosevelt

  14. #14

    Default

    True story, I stopped to help someone in the ditch south of Medicine Bow once during one of those wind storms/ground blizzards. For at least 20-30 seconds of a gust I couldn't hardly push open the truck door to get out.
    Colorado's Sexiest Elk Hunter 2009-2015
    And Squirrel's super secret man crush
    SSSMC-2016

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkshooter View Post
    True story, I stopped to help someone in the ditch south of Medicine Bow once during one of those wind storms/ground blizzards. For at least 20-30 seconds of a gust I couldn't hardly push open the truck door to get out.
    This one time...in band camp...it took me 7 hours to drive from Laramie to Casper through that basin.
    In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •