MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

H4831SC for 270 Win

Paisano

Right now I'm loading IMR 4350 and I'm satisfied but I'm very interested in Hodgdon powder. I'm also working up a load for a another caliber right now and have been getting very consistent velocity and accuracy with H4350 compared to IMR 4350. So, I'm interested in looking at a Hodgdon powder for my 270. Just wondering if some of you have had good results using H4831SC for a regular 270 Win? Or, what powder you have had the best results with for a 270? Gracias!!

I worked up a load for my .270 in 1973--57 grs. of IMR-4831 with the 130-grain Nosler Partition in Winchester-Western cases. I know there are lots of newer powders on the market today, but I never found a reason to dabble with them for this rifle. I killed seven North American rams with that load.

Allow me to add that if H-4831SC had been available at the time I would have tried it, and you might want to try it yourself. The regular cut H-4831, which I happily use in a number of cartridges, fills a regular .270 case to the point where you have a compressed load. Good luck!

I shoot the regular H4831 in my 270 and get great results with the 140gr AccuBond.
The sc and regular are the same formula just different lengths to ease measuring and fitting it in the case, so it should work great.

H4831sc shoots very well in my .270 with 130gr bullets. IMR 7828 shoots about 150fps faster, but does not have quite as good accuracy.

H4831sc is my 'go to' powder for my 270s. I'm mostly loading 150 grain NPs but occasionally 130 grain Sierra GKs. Very happy with the results.

Been loading 60grains of h4831 with a 130 gr nosler for years.shoots very well in a couple 270s
that i have.I know it might be too hot for your gun but that is in my opinion the powder for the 270.

Here is burn rate chart and it shows H4831 burns a little slower than IMR 4831 which might give you a more uniform pressure range in your gun improving accuracy or could work against your set up. The only way to tell is to try them. The only thing is...I don't think there is that much difference between these two powders to make much of a noticable difference.
http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

I reload for my daughters Tikka T3, .270. I use 51gr of IMR 4350 and 140gr Accubonds. I also use it for reloading 130gr Ballistic tips (can't remember how much powder). I use a trickler and a digital scale to make sure each case has the exact amount of powder. Both bullets drive tacks and she shoots great out to 300 yards and I'm sure with practice, that range could be easily doubled. Good luck with your reloading and hope this helps.

Awesome info. Thanks guys. This forum is a great resource! Out of curiosity, how many of y'all shoot the 130 grain bullet for elk?....

3 shot group below case is 57.5 gr RE22 130 gr Nosler BT WLR primer Once fired brass

IMG-20120401-00161.jpg

Out of curiosity, how many of y'all shoot the 130 grain bullet for elk?....

I'm using some good old fashion Remington Core lok 130 grainers for my 270 WSM. So far I've killed a bear, dall sheep and cow elk with it. I'm shooting a Savage and it has been real accurate when put in a vise. Now me holding the bugger that's another story :eek:

Hopefully I'll have a picture of a nice bull this year using the same bullets, that is if I dont' launch a broad head at one first.

Last edited:
One elk and three muley bucks with my 130 grain nosler partitions.Thats not a great sample to
look at.And the number of whiteys is in the hundreds.I sent my scope,varix 3, to premier reticles in Virginia and they set my crosshairs according to my load and ballistics.We shoot a fair bit here just
practicing out to 1000 yds.They set crosshair marks or dots for that load at each yardage to 1000.I've been pleased with that,yet haven't shot any game over 400.That load of 60grains of H4831 is set for that
270 so I wont change,but it has been very good for me.It shoots 3/4 inch at 100,a mauser action on a takeoff stainless barrel.

Very fine group there Grady. My componets are the same as yours,cept I shoot the partition.I like that
ballistic tip too but had one disinegrate on a Kansas whitetail back in 2000.Never on a whitetail around here but those bucks out there are just bigger and that may have had something to do with that,and maybe my shot angle was tough.Anyway,nice shootin.

I've recently been messing around with RL17. It was designed for the short fat stuff but my .25-06 just loves it. Super accurate and even faster velocities than any other powder. Yesterday I shot my first loads in my .270 and it looks like it will be more of the same but I still need to work up to speed on this load.
Try it - you'll like it!

In my mind H4831sc is the gold standard for the 270. Most of the guys I hunt with have migrated to 140-150 grain bullets.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back