Montana Spring Bears.. the tally

William Christy

How many days have you been out, how many seen, and the mix.

I'm on day 17, 9 bears seen, only one cub, 3 big ones. Have hunted 3 BMUs and 5 different mtn ranges.

Tough going now, green everywhere. Less than a month left.

I'm on 10 nights out.

I've seen
5 sows
10 cubs

1 monster
2 good ones
1 smaller boar

They are moving all over the place right now. Watched a good one last night digging in those yellow flowers that come out during the spring. He was loving whatever it is about them. Just kept moving from flower patch to flower patch. He was digging so it must be the roots he was after.
Fin and I tried to make a move on him at dark but he disappeared when we got over to him. This has been my funnest bear season to date. I'm loving seeing the bears, elk, deer and the awesome scenery we have in Montana. I'm not trading states with anyone.

Maybe with the sows coming into heat with provide some bigger dudes. It's a great time to be out.

Only four days for me, but have managed to track down two. One small cinnamon and the boar I shot, which are more than I expected since this is my first spring chasing them. Glassed up lots of sheep, elk, and a few moose. Even managed to run into a calf moose that couldn't even stand up yet. Great time of year to be in the woods.

I've been out 12 times. Seen 23 bears. I have had 3 bears in my sights and have let them all walk for one reason or another. The last one walked because of a huge rub on his right front shoulder. Has anyone else noticed any bears rubbing already?

Three nights out, one bear spotted. I haven't been as motivated to kill a bear this spring as some. I sure have enjoyed the evenings out though. I think I'll get out a several more times in the next two weeks. Its going to have to be a special bear for me to pull the trigger on I'm thinking. Either a big one, or a special circumstance such as having my son along. I'll know the one when I see it.

Man, I love being able to hunt spring bears in Montana! Sorry Dink. :)

Just back in after my 14th day. Saw two bears tonight. A light chocolate and blackie. Neither on property where I could go after them.

For those 14 days, I have seen 5 different sets of sows with two cubs each, what I think were two other sows, and 8 that I thought were boars. Only saw one boar that I thought was a really good one.

Given I am slammed this week, then a college graduation next weekend, I think my bear hunting might have come to an end this evening. Milked it for all I could. Maybe I am too picky. Maybe I am just out for the pleasure of the time in the hills. Either way, it is a great thing to do in April and May.

Also saw my fist new elk calf tonight. Seems a little early for an elk calf. I watched the cow and her calf for a long time. The thing could hardly walk. I suspect it was no more than a few days old.

I've been out 6 or 7 times and have seen exactly 0 bears. Although I have been easily side tracked into doing other things when I went out. :)

Been spending most of my hunting time on bobcat hunting. Seen three bears on the few days I have gone.

As of this evening I've been out 14 days. I have seen 33 bears. About 8 of them were very nice animals. Only one sow and cub...strange as I usually see more sows and cubs than anything. One difference is that I am hunting much further back in this year, mostly in several western MT wilderness areas that often are inaccessible until June. Just got back from a backpack trip, saw 5 bears in two days and in the morning I am headed back in to help a friend track a bear he shot this evening. If we find it, it will be the fourth successful hunt I have been a part of this spring. One of my favorite spring seasons so far!

what do you guys see in the way of hunting pressure

Not much if you go on weekdays. And if you hike very far, you don't see many other guys. By very far, I mean in some cases, as little as a half mile.

Kind of like elk and deer hunting. A little effort and you eliminate most the crowd.

That being said, it was pretty busy this yesterday in the area I was hunting. Though a lot of them were hikers with dogs.

Only been out about three times this year and I've seen one small Griz, but that's about it. Seen lots of scat on the ground, but that makes for a terrible soup. I'm not expecting much this year, since it's my first time ever pursuing a bear. I've never bought a tag before 2012! Rubs or not, I want to find myself a bruin to bring home. I won't be picky on my first one ever!!

Successful MT Hunt

Every year after we finish another semester, a hunting buddy and I head north from Nebraska to try and get a bear. We usually come up the week right after our finals are over, just before the summer workload starts. I have been up three springs now and this is my second bear. Not a giant, but a personal best, 250lbs or so. Spent 6 days in the field in Beaverhead-Deerlodge east Twin Bridges. May 6th-11th were the days hunted Spotted one bear the first day way off, didnt stick around long. Next three days nothing. Fifth day found some nice grizzly tracks and spotted a jet black sow with two little brown cubs, fun to watch. Our last day hunting, shot my bear at about 630pm and had it packed out and to the truck just after dark. Cut it very close, but thats why its fun!

179730_10150813003068435_507193434_9722054_1281883338_n.jpg

383531_10150813005458435_507193434_9722080_407209818_n.jpg

561363_10150813004793435_507193434_9722073_1828252275_n.jpg

576751_10150813005618435_507193434_9722081_529126495_n.jpg

547256_10150813006093435_507193434_9722087_391224086_n.jpg

photo (20).JPG

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear