Thoughts on Howa/Hogue GameKing Combo?

nmelktrout

I'm a bowhunter with a 4 month old son on a budget who just sold a pile of sheds and is looking to buy an affordable and flat shooting rifle. I'm thinking hard about pulling the proverbial trigger on one of these Gameking combos in 7mm Rem. mag. and wanted to see if anyone would be willing to share the good, the bad and the ugly on these guns/packages.

Any and all thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cody

I think the Howa is a very good shooting rifle. My son has the model 1500 in 7mm RemMag, shoots very good groups. If you get one make sure you get the new trigger, some stores probably still have the older trigger models, the old trigger wasn't terrible, but you may as well get the new & improved trigger. I don't know much about their scope on the combo packages, I've heard both good and bad but have never used their scope. All in all, the Howa would be a great choice IMO. Got any pics to post of those sheds?

Thanks for the response fishing. Here's some shed pics including sheds I sold today
Packing a load out of the Gila:
P4260022.jpg

Found this bull's sheds two years in a row. His antlers drop back down behind his ears.
IMG_0677.jpg

Sheds in front of a shed:
IMG_0665.jpg

"ATL"
IMG_0674.jpg

Z dog, my bird and shed hunting partner:
IMG_0675.jpg

-Cody

I have the Howa 1500 in 7mm. It is really a nice flat shooting rifle. Mine came with the Nikko Sterling 3-10x42 but it left a lot to be desired. It was replaced with a Vortex Viper 4-16x44HS LR that is awesome. I also had the old original trigger and dropped in a Timney. The trigger change was less than a 5 minute job. It came factory set at 3# and breaks like glass. Factory loads the gun will shoot right at 1" at 100yds. Handloads are even better. It is a lot of gun for little money and would highly recommend it.

I am SUPER impressed with my Weatherby Vangaurd Series 2 (Its basically the Howa 1500 barreled action in Weatherby's Monte Carlo style Stock) in .300 Win Mag Shot a .65" group right out of the box!

Great extractor and bolt set up, Weatherby upgrades the trigger group and adds a 3 position safety as well.

Bi MArt sells the rifle for $349 once in a while, and for that price you can afford a really decent scope.

Dialed it rght in. First day on the Range with it

Attachments

• 100_1278.jpg
    100_1278.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 12,727
  • 100_1276.jpg
    100_1276.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 12,858

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members