2012-2013 NM Regs

Other than sticking it to the Non-Res DIYer... tags look pretty similar to 2011. I did notice that there are no Pronghorn archery tags for 18 and 20 though.

I wonder if the extra license cost and drop in Tags will decrease the Non-Res applicants? It upsets me but I guess you have to pay to play. Maybe I'm beating a dead horse though.

Hunters who are unsuccessful in the drawing are encouraged to keep their Game-hunting License and use it for hunting small game during open seasons. If requested at time of application, refunds will be offered for the Game-hunting License, but NOT the combination Game-hunting and Fishing License. Refunds will be issued in May.

I added the bold. So after all the stink with the hunting license being required, they are going to allow it to be refunded if you don't draw a tag? That seems crazy. Also seems like there is no way they are going to meet their budget because the only way they were going to make up for the big reduction in nonresident licenses sold was to sell all the mandatory hunting licenses.

Really scratching my head on this whole thing. I guess I'm a whiner, but my hunting opportunities are going to go way down next year. I guess I should be thankful that at least I've been lucky the last couple years to draw some tags there.

Wow, that's interesting. I guess the next step they take is to add a preference point system and tell you that you can't earn a point if you request a license refund.

I wish they would start a bonus or pref point system.

Got a question about how the tags are distributed and if they made changes.
Last year the pronghorn unit I drew had more than the 10% tag allotment go to Non-Res/Non Guide. The extra tags evidently came from the under utilized Outfitter pool. Is that the same for 2012 or did I hear that those extra outfitter tags now go to the resident pool?

Unused Outfitter pool tags now go to the resident pool.

That's a big change for me on the deer unit I hunt as in the past there were zero applicants under the outfitter pool for that unit and the entire 12% slid over to the nonguided nonresident pool.

So it's going from 22% last year to 6% this year in that unit for nonguided nonresidents.

Probably wasn't fair the way it was with 22%, but 6% is pretty bad now. My % draw odds are going to go from about 40% to a little under 10% if the same number of folks apply.

Last edited:
I only wish my Illinois state land had a 6% unguided nonresident quota for deer! It was like 75% nonresident/25% resident this year. They basically open the floodgates here. Dam the NR's pounded it and it was ruined even before peak rut. Deer were either dead or extremely educated. Then they all run home once the damage is done, and I'm left with a crappy late rut shotgun permit which is by that point nothing more than a meat hunt.

I'm all for residents coming first, but it seems what is fair has little to do with the decision making for these states. It's all dictated by special interest groups. I wish my chances were 10% unguided in New Mexico, and I wish NR coming to Illinois were limited to 10% of public land opportunity, but I guess that would just make too much sense to ever get done.

Last edited:
I added the bold. So after all the stink with the hunting license being required, they are going to allow it to be refunded if you don't draw a tag? That seems crazy. Also seems like there is no way they are going to meet their budget because the only way they were going to make up for the big reduction in nonresident licenses sold was to sell all the mandatory hunting licenses.

Really scratching my head on this whole thing. I guess I'm a whiner, but my hunting opportunities are going to go way down next year. I guess I should be thankful that at least I've been lucky the last couple years to draw some tags there.

Yeah, one of the lobby groups (can't recall which one) successfully got that amended and no, they will likely not meet their budget.

I noticed the oryx tags were cut again this year. Glad I drew when I did

Actually no lobby group got that amended. The Governor wouldn't sign the Bill without that concession, after the Bill had passed, so the head of the Game Commission agreed. He then asked his fellow Commissioners to uphold his promise to the Governor and they did so at the next Commission meeting.

Looks like the odds of drawing my preferred units is hovering around a 1.25% average. Wonderful. Sorry thing is they're not even "premier" units. Guess I'll give up on NM and just donate to CO. I gave up on my home state years ago. Costs here are friggin' ridiculous and only going to get worse with the oil leases

I live here in NM and I love how the draw is random, however I do think that some things need to have a point system in place. All Ibex tags need to be a preference point system, the once and a life time oryx hunt needs to be a preference point system especially since they have so many other opportunities to draw an oryx tag. The once and life time elk hunt up in the Valle Vidal needs to be a point system. I have put in for my once and lifetime oryx hunt for 15 years and have yet to draw. But every year i know tons of people who put in for the first time and draw. So I am all for the random draw every year but like i said some things do need to have a point system in place.

Also, I do have to say that not allowing non-residence to draw a cow elk permit is garbage. As a resident of New Mexico it is so easy to get a cow elk tag that they should allow non-residents to draw a cow tag.

A pref point system wouldnt help anyone when it comes to super scare resources, in thiscase ibex oryx and sheep. Too few tags to cycle people through so after a few years u shut out everyone without max points. Point systems can work but the more scare the resource, the more likely the point system will do no good.

A pref point system wouldnt help anyone when it comes to super scare resources, in thiscase ibex oryx and sheep. Too few tags to cycle people through so after a few years u shut out everyone without max points. Point systems can work but the more scare the resource, the more likely the point system will do no good.

I agree 100%. Points will not work if the tag numbers are too small to cycle the people through the system.

I do not think there should be a 10% allocation of tags to the outfitters,,,its not right beins that these are the states animals,,,hunting tags should be on a equal draw weather your a diy or gonna hire a guide,,,6% going to diy is B S.new mexico will not get my money now with super low odds ,full up front fee and a hunting licenceof $65 to boot.

Back