Colorado unit 62 archery ?

Rookie

Me and my buddy are going to unit 62 this is our 2nd trip to co and our first trip to this unit. Last year we struggled because of a lack of information. So any added info fog this unit would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried the interactive maps on the Colorado DOW website? Shows typical summer/winter range. Other than that, I'd look into any wilderness area in the unit. Best of luck

considered most heavily hunted unit in Colo but has a lot of elk. You will have some company. How did you come to choose this particular unit?

Well last year we didn't have much luck so I looks at all the units population numbers and this was in the top three. Basically we are willing to pack as far as needed but we wanted to know that the unit had a great potential to get on animals.

I've been doing some scouting around there, as this is my first archery season in the state.....there are A LOT of elk in 62. They are where I expect them to be this time of year.....but they're also where I don't expect them to be. Way down low in the sage and juniper. They're everywhere! Plenty of bulls, I've even seen one honest to goodness 300" bull in the low country.

I've heard of the crowds that hunt 62 because of it's friendly terrain, so I'll be hunting elsewhere with hopes that I can get away from the peeps. I'm hoping for fat lazy hunters.

Thanks for the reply it's good to know that you are seeing animals. I'm jealous that I can't come out and scout the area as well.

I have been scouting this unit also and as T Bone says there is alot of elk everywhere, just be prepared to be elbow to elbow with the crowds.

Look near Short Point Cut-off. It is up north of Windy Point and barely south of Brushy mesa. That is where we saw the most elk. There are some cabins in there that are on Private land so be aware of the private land. Also look at EscalanteRanch.com. They are the ones with the cabins in there. Had a chance at a 4x4 bull in there and my buddy killed one there in 2006. We looked all over unit 70 2nd season in 2008 with very few elk sightings so we went where we knew there would be elk as listed above. Saw a Black sow with 3 cinnamon cubs up there flanking the elk. Also might want to look at www.sunsetcanyonoutfitters.com as they have some cabins up near the divide road and may be some help to pack out an elk for you. Curt Weimer is the owner of that camp.

Just found this thread...I am headed to 62 on the 10th of September. How was your hunt? Any help/advice you'd be willing to share will be greatly appreciated!

Sometimes, there are more hunters than elk... ;) Depends on what kind of experience you want. I still hunt there off and on, but I've called in more hunters than elk (CRAP!). I wish they would limit it like the White River section. Good Luck

Thanks. Not very encouraging, but I suppose realistic. Is there any place to get away from the crowds and ATV's?

This unit had over 1600 archery hunters in it last year. That might be the most of any CO elk unit.,just sayin. But surprisingly the success rates are actually pretty good. Must be fairly easy terrain and access and good numbers of elk

You guys going to 62 for archery, I'll be in 61 hunting deer and bear and I wouldn't mind getting together for a few adult beverages and cigars and I'll even cook up some dinner.

Last edited:
I'll be deer hunting 3rd season in the unit.Is it worth while having an elk tag or will they still be up higher.My main focus would be a decent buck.If there's a good chance to see some elk,I'll buy a tag

Yes- get an elk tag. My buddy hunted there 3rd season last year, the deer were higher than the elk... in our part of the area.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back