Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Need help finding Elk in the Owyhee in Idaho

OK I was Lucky to draw a Elk tag in the Owyhee.I am not asking for any of your hunting spot out their I just need a starting point and not like what the Fish & Game said look in the the Trees.I do all my bird hunting out there and have kicked up some big bucks but never an elk.I have ask other hunting forms and got some help .But just looking for all the help I can get.Thanks

If it's 40 then South Mountain, of course also can depend it's a Sept hunt or Oct-Nov hunt but you've probably already know this?

ElkNut1

Sorry should have put that in the first post. It is in unit 40 and a Oct hunt .In my bird hunting out there I have came across miles of Quaking Aspen trees .In between Silver city and Reynolds Creek.I wish I could say I did know that.Thank you for that ElkNut1.

So if it's in october I'm assuming you have the cow tag. south mountain is a september early october elk area with it not opening until after the deer hunt I suggest looking further south I happen to have a deer tag out in 42 I will be scouting all summer if I see some good elk numbers maybe I can let you know and if you happen to be scouting much in 42 for elk and see any big bucks you can give me a shout. that could be a win win for both of us.

Hey elkmagnet
I have a bull tag it goes Oct 15 to Nov 24.I will keep a look out for them.
I wish you had a unit 40 for deer I could point out some good draws for you to hunt.
Thanks

Wow a bull tag your a lucky man. I would spend more time south of mud flat than north of it if you know what I mean. Have you spent a lot of time in that area? I know 40 I grew up in 40 I have just grown tired of the long draw odds so I thought I would try somewhere different I have some good infoon elk herds feel free to pm me.

Another newbie to Idaho hunting this Unit this year as I drew a 40-1 tag starting Sept 15th. Put in not really thinking I would draw it but for 14 bucks extra I figured why not. Retired now on fixed income so can't afford an outfitter at 5-6k anymore so pretty much on my own.
So areas to narrow my scouting would be helpful as I know absolutely nothing about hunting southwestern idaho so pretty much looking for Braille. Driven through several times from Nevada and from Jordan Valley Oregon but just the highways. Hope you can help.
Thanx

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back