kenetrek boots - the heal

RockyDog

Ive noticed on many hunting forums and auctions that used kenetrek boots are for sale regularly due to the "heal not fitting". on my hardscrabbles i like the design but will probably never buy another pair unless i learn the heal has changed.

I realize kenetrek is a supporter on this site, im not trying to bash the company just wondering what others experienced and hoping company is aware if problem is in fact common.

an example from someone i dont know. http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID49/2348.html

Hmmm interesting that you posted this because I was just contemplating getting a pair but now I'm having hesitation.... Big investment on a very important piece of gear and I have "wierd" feet so I'm really particular. I'll wait and see what the others have to say...

I will tell you that my kenetrek boots blistered up my feet the first couple long hikes i did in them. But now, they are awesome!

They definately take a little more break in than any other boot i've worn (approx 50 miles or so) but once they do, they are great.

Just my two cents.

A word of warning about Kenetrek boots. DO NOT use any old waterproofing on them. I got a pair quite a while back, was not aware of the proprietary glue used on joining the rubber rand to the upper. Consequently, found out the hard way that a lot of waterproofing compounds delaminate the rand from the boot. I bought them to the company in Bozeman, and they were less than helpful. A local repair shop tried unsuccessfully to reglue the rand. I ended up just cutting the deleminated portion of the rubber off the.boot. Afterword, I have had no more problems with further delamination of the rand, even after severe abuse of the boots - given the fact that I now use Kenetrek's own waterproofing goop. Other than that pain in the ass, they have been pretty durable and comfortable. I did put expensive aftermarket soles in to tighten them up on my feet a bit. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who had the glue problem. Kenetrek assured me that if I would have used the proper waterproofer, this wouldn't have happened. Whatever..... I think I would buy another pair, so I guess I gotta say I'm satisfied with em.

I picked up a pair on camofire last fall and they were very comfortable immediately. Best pair of boots I've ever worn out of the box and getting better with use.

At first had some issues with my Ktreks slipping on the heels and causing problems. Got it fixed with by changing insoles and the sock system I use. I bought the heat modable Sole insoles, which IMO are a big step up from the factory insole. Kenetrek must not think they're too bad as they sell them as well, I just wish they came with the boots. Regarding what type of waterproofer, I only use what the boot manufacturer suggests and in the case of Kenetrek they recommended Nikwax, which has worked great.

If you have 'weird' feet I would suggest taking a look at their website and giving Lathrop and Sons a call. Besides fitting footbeds and boots for hunting, they also create/fit medical orthotics. They use measurements and tracings of your feet to fit the boots. I had a pair of their boots and insoles prior to trying Kenetrek and they will likely get my business again if I can ever wear out the Ktreks.

I had two different pairs of Hardscrabble Hiker Kenetrek Boots. My boot size has always been 9. The first pair at that size, caused problems with my toes as the toe box was just too tight. I lost some toenails, had blisters and the discomfort was not good. Jim Winjum suggested a larger pair. I got the 9 1/2 and continued to have the exact same problem with the toe box.I wore them with Superfeet insoles and Smartwool socks. Kenetrek bought the last pair back from me. The soles on these boots are great and the ankle support is super. Just make sure their boot fits your entire foot. I went back to Meindl boots after this experience, and had no problem with fit. I greatly prefer the traction of the Kenetrek over the Meindl but that isn't so important if the boots don't fit. Support was about the same for both. By the way, Jim Winjum at Kenetrek delivered great customer service despite the problems.

I have a narrow hard to fit foot & have sworn by Danners for years...Ktreks are way above anything I've worn so far. Heel slippage has always been my #1 issue...none with the Mt Extreme nor the Hardscrabbles Lites. Spendy at MSRP but small discounts can be found if patient. Hardscrabbles were camofire finds IIRC. Only boot I've worn that haven't required break-in. Hardscrabbles need a good skin friendly sock (in my case) for upper ankle/lower tibiofibular area chafing prevention.

Last edited:
I've had continous problems with my Mountain Extremes as well. I was getting this wicked heal slip on the left side only and the heal cup was bulging out half way up my heal. After a week, I had to wear sandals for three weeks due to the hole in my skin. I took them back and they replaced them no questions asked. My new pair has similar issues and I've worn them over a week of hard hiking as well. I'm hoping some serious time in them this summer will break them in more then my first pair ever was. They are a great company and you get everything perfect I guess.

I got a set of Hardscrabble Lights toward the end of last hunting season, and really didn't have much of an opportunity to put the miles on them to break them in...... I put about 6 miles of hard up and down hiking on them the other day, and wound up with a blister on the back of my right heel as well. Definite "heel slip" for me too..... I do really like the boots,and am hopeful I can get this corrected. Think I will try a new insole and put some more miles on them. Hopefully once they are good and broke in they won't rub the back of my heel so bad

Try some different insoles and socks and then before you guys get to the blister stage slap some mole skin on. The best product ever invented I used a whole package on my hips and back on an Alaska hunt with a bad pack. I had the same problem with my Kenetreks but don't really now. Moleskin is the trick during break in if your having the issues and put it on before you start feeling the problem.

I found the best way to resolve the heal slip in my Kenetreks was to throw on my Lowa Hunters when I plan to put some miles on.

I found the best way to resolve the heal slip in my Kenetreks was to throw on my Lowa Hunters when I plan to put some miles on.
That's funny!!

I think the biggest thing I did to prevent the slippage was to start using a synthetic liner sock with a wool sock over that. Both that I use are made by REI and the liners are cheap. I will disagree with the moleskin idea. I can't keep the stuff from balling up in my sock and causing worse problems. I prefer duct tape as I find it works mucho better. Only drawback is that once applied it needs to stay on for the duration of the trip as the skin usually comes off with it. I will even apply some to my heels before a big hunt/hike as a preventative measure. In these cases it can usually be removed as the skin's not loose and blistered.

Hopefully it didn't come across that I don't think the Kenetrek is not a good boot. I have two pair and one pair, the Extremes, I wear every day at work. The boot is very comfortable until I do some heavy hiking. Not sure why my foot does very well in the boot until I really put it through a workout. Like many products, what fits well for some, may not work for all. Obviously there are lots of people that have great experiences with the Kenetrek.

Miller don't be a hater ;) Just kidding like you said unless all our feet were the same and all boots were identical in build then there would never be problems. Some feet just aren't going to work in certain boots. I couldn't imagine the blisters I'd have on the balls of my feet wearing the more open toed boots that don't lace right down to the toes:eek: But I know some on here swear by their Danner pronghorns, Rocky's, Irish Setters, Wolverines etc... that generally have a more open or roomier toe box than the typical mountaineering style boot. Just have to try them out and find what works for you.

What Miller said. My Kenetreks are four years old and probably have 100 miles on them and I really want them to work. On flat ground, or really anything that's not steep, they work really well. In fact, I think the soles have a bit of "rocker" to them that makes walking easy. On really steep hills, I get two big heel blisters. I've tried multiple sock systems, moleskin, glide, etc. I can wear my Lowa Tibets and Caminos with any socks, or no socks and have no problems.... I think the Kenetreks are lighter than the Lowas if that makes a difference for anyone.

For the sake of his feet and sanity, I really hope the OP is not still getting blisters from 04-14-2011. LOL

The boot is very comfortable until I do some heavy hiking.
That also describes my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, which I always wear hunting and love them for the mountain slopes and muddy or snowy conditions. However, I don't think they would be that comfortable for hiking trails day after day. My wife and I completed a seventy-six mile backpack trip in the Bob in August and I wore my tried and true comfortable and stable Lowas, without any discomfort.

For me with my hard scrambles I had a odd experience, first 2years no issues, the all of a sudden heal blisters. I just apply leukotape to my heel, no issues, otherwise I love the boot. Same issue w my mnt extremes. Don't even mess with it now, first thing when I arrive at TH I tape up, just spent 10days in the mnts never re-taped once.

I just purchased my first pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots last week. I don't know if something has changed in the design of the boots since others purchased theirs or its just me. I did take the advise and got my boots properly sized. I also and using a sock that matched to what I intend to use the boots for. I am wearing a Darn Tough merino wool hiking boot sock with full cushion. In addition, I have the boots properly laced to keep my foot locked in and comfortable.

So far these are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. I have been wearing the boots everyday so far to make sure they are broken in by the time I go on a hunt next month. No issues at all so far with daily wear and light hiking. I have not noticed any spots on the boots that are pinching, causing pain or that are uncomfortable at all. The boots feel snug on my entire foot including the heal.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back