1984......Geo. Orwell....

I hunt corn fields for geese....To each his own.

Wingman, my opinion is that is not under the baiting theory. I hunt cornfields,winter wheat, etc. whatever the geese are using to feed. No different to me than finding where the deer are feeding and setting up between the roost and the food.

Bucnutz & Schmaltz. Live near McMillan Marsh north of Marshfield. Before baiting was banned in Marathon county, you could park on any road that runs thru there, walk 100-150 yds into the woods and if you'd walk parallel to the road you would see a bait pile every 200 yards or so. Same thing off the snowmobile trails and hunter trails.
Most of the problems that occurred on this public land was baiters that thought by placing a corn pile they had their own little hunting hole. I found a spot with no bait to bow hunt and imagine my surprise when close to sundown some joker comes walking in with 100# of corn and reams my $%# for hunting in HIS area. I have np with someone baiting private land if thats what they enjoy, but on public land all it does is cause problems.\
Hoping they make baiting illegal statewide before long. Even then you will open the warden news in Outdoor Sportsmen and find numerous people getting caught.

some joker comes walking in with 100# of corn and reams my $%# for hunting in HIS area.

Yep, them are the corn cob slobs I referred to... my buddy's still B*tch about that same issue. Another reason why I try to make my property as attractive as possible for the deer.

This thread isn't real deep and begins rather stupidly. Some poor basterd is living Haiti when the earth quake occurs. This country already has extreme poverty and basically no way out for its citizens. A year later the decrepid building the guy used to live in hasn't been rebuilt because the government is stealing the rebuilding money. The Haitian still living in squaller is getting madder and madder because things never improve there. Now to add insult to injury, he finds he is getting thrashed by Dodad via an anti baiting thread on some website he has never heard of becasue "he has lost his soul".

Talk about not getting a break...

Here in Maryland baiting is legal for deer but not for any other species. The reason our DNR allows baiting is simple....We have way too many deer. We have so many deer the bag limit is 36 per year. Heck, you have a fair chance of hitting one in your car just about any evening you may be out. Enough that Lyme disease is everywhere and you really shouldn't be in the woods without insect repellant. Guess what, your right, baiting is an effective way to make sure more of them end up on the meat pole which is exactly what needs to happen. The last thing we need as hunters is to divide ourselves again, and drive a few more out of the sport we all love. What works in one state does not work in all states.

I guess I will throw in one last thought on baiting deer. It's a great way to see deer, great way to meat hunt. It is a horrible way to hunt mature bucks. I often feel many people that don't hunt over bait think we can just put out 100lbs of corn and shoot a 175" whitetail. The reality is the mature bucks are harvested by other methods. You want to meat hunt and shoot does? Please come to Maryland and do it over bait. If you are looking for a mature buck you better make another plan.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back