Caribou Gear

Prime Rib ala Canada Goose

Dana

We've had one heck of a waterfowl season here in Southern Missouri the past month, so tonight's dinner featured a Canada Goose. It was pretty warm today, near 40 so I decided to cook on the grill. This recipe will make any waterfowl take on the taste of prime rib, thus the name.....

Marinade for each breast:
1/3 C Olive Oil
2 T Worchestershire
5 Garlic cloves
1 t. Course ground pepper
1 t. Sea salt

Marinate each breast in a zip loc bag, refrigerated for 3 hours

Prepare charcoal grill

Grill goose breasts until your desired level of doneness. I like medium rare, especially in replicating the prime rib taste.

Let goose breasts rest for 5 minutes before slicing across the grain. I served this with creamy horseradish and worchestershire sauce plus I roasted the garlic that was in the marinade (that's what's in the foil boat on the grill). One more week of goose season here! Enjoy!

Attachments

• marinade_goose.jpg
    marinade_goose.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 474
  • flames_goose.jpg
    flames_goose.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 461
  • Grill_Goose.jpg
    Grill_Goose.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 468
  • FLYING_RIB_GOOSE_HERO.jpg
    FLYING_RIB_GOOSE_HERO.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 477
Goooosh - that plate looks unbelievable!

I will certainly try that!

Dana, any specific reason for over coals verus gas grill? Seems on the off occasion I have used coals I get a bit of "fuel flavor"... maybe it was the bag of charcoal I purchased... though since then I have always had a bitterness for charcoals.

What would be the inside temp fo the bird for that medium rare level? 160-170?

Freekin incredible looking! Another fantastic presentation of a great wild game dinner!

Sytes, did you use lighter fluid with your charcoal or a instant lighlting type charcoal? Using either will definitely give a fuel flavor. You'll see that's the exact reason why I use a charcoal chimney to start my coals. No fuel needed that way. You could use gas if that's what you have or prefer, but for my taste, you cannot beat the flavor that you can only get with charcoal. Just remember NO fuel.

Sytes, ooops, just realized I didnt answer your other question.... medium rare would be 130-135, rare would be 120-125. At 160-170 you've got well done....probably NOT what you'd like to eat a goose at! :)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back