Himalayan Tahr in New Mexico?

I've got the regs from last year and corresponded with a person that copordinates the draw. I came away with the impression it is a waste of money. They issue a couple tags and only get a few applicants. Since you cannot scout beforehand it would be tough. I'm not even sure they know how many of these critters are actaully running around. I'd love to be wrong though.

According to the big game NM regs. they are considered to be a non game species and require only a small game license to hunt. MTG

According to the big game NM regs. they are considered to be a non game species and require only a small game license to hunt. MTG

Yes, but since the population (if there is one) resides on the Laguna Pueblo reservation, they run the drawing and can dictate fees, rules, etc...

Laguna Pueblo Game Unit 8 at Old Mt Taylor Game Ranch

Hi All,
New to the forum. Have become interested in the Tahr after completing a forest inventory contract for the Laguna Pueblo on their game unit east of Mt. Taylor. I was not allowed to remove any antlers, etc while working but took this photo in Water Canyon on the east side of the unit. That is my wife modeling the horn in question. I didn't consider that it may be a Himilayan Tahr horn until I discussed trying to hunt one with my boss. Is this a Tahr horn?

Attachments

• Laguna Horn.jpg
    Laguna Horn.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 8,565
Unfortunately, no that is not a Tahr horn, they have a base similar to that except they are much shorter with no curl to them. They are about the length and curve of a mountain goat horn. That is, unless they grow funny in New Mexico.

is this a Tahr? if so I know where sa whole heard is on PL

IMG_13351_zpsffddcbc1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Yes interested to read about this. There was a forum thread on another forum ages ago about this hunt. Surely there would be a few animals still running around if there is limited tags. They have plenty of capacity to breed quickly if they are in the right environment and there is modest predation.

You can hunt them around Mt. Taylor without a tag. I dedicated some time to the issue a few years back and it took some time for me to locate any tahr. I found a monster of a bull, but he was 150 yards on the wrong side of a fence...and that was my one and only shot opportunity. Heavy snows on the mountain can push some of the animals down, assuming that is where they happen to be at that time. Surprisingly, the group that I became familiar with preferred lower, albeit broken country. It can be done, but you need to spend a bunch of time learning the country, finding the animals and praying they aren't on the wrong side of a fence. My experience was that they moved around a lot and there just weren't very many of them to be had. Same with the barbary in Unit 9. They are there, but they were pretty shot out in the 90s and never seemed to recover. That and they seem to focus on tribal and private lands. There must be a good deal of lion predation going on as the populations seem pretty nominal and there just doesn't seem to be that much hunting pressure for the barbs or tahr in that country.

Kinda of off subject.

Probably 15 to 20 years ago, I scoped the two biggest mule deer I have ever seen; At least 30 minutes. Not private. but 15 miles from my area. I hated it when MNG&F limited areas.

Never pulled the trigger or came close. Still one of my most memorable moments hunting. Can see see them today.

Love to hunt tahr, but across state and seems to be a crapshoot!

Back