Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado GMU 14 or GMU 24 for Elk

Bowhuntrben

I was wondering if anybody has hunted for elk in Colorado GMU 14 or 24 during the archery season? I will be going to Colorado with my uncle this fall, and thought those areas sounded like they have quite a few animals. I went with my dad to GMU 68 this past season and saw hardly anything, so I am looking for a unit where I can hope to see some more animals (even if they are not close or big).
For those that have hunted in these areas during the archery season, did you see many animals? Was the woods crowded with hunters? We plan on hunting the last week of the archery season. In GMU 68, there were people on the weekends, but weekdays were pretty much to ourselves. I am not worried about having to pack in a long ways to get away from the crowds.
Are there any other areas that anybody would recommend in Colorado? I am looking for an OTC unit. I do have a few points, but I want to gain some experience before I use my points on a good area. This year I actually won't even be hunting, just my uncle will have a tag, so hopefully I will be able to help him harvest an animal.
Thank you for any tips you guys might want to share!

I have hunted both, but in 2nd rifle season, not archery. The roads were full of hunters, but if we got more than a half mile off the road, we saw no other hunters.

Back