Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming 2011 DIY

hitman

I have 4 points each for deer, elk, and prongs in WY going into 2011 draw. Will likely try to draw a Type 9 archery only elk tag for area 37 in January. If that falls through, will try limited quota deer tag in 119, 105, or 118 as first choice. If none pan out, I'll be looking to hit the Greys River area in Region G for deer with general deer tag my second choice. If that falls through, I'll wait until I have 5 points and do it again in 2012. Don't know what the best use of the lope points would be at this time. Still researching. So far, I've discussed with all my hunting friends and no takers on next years trip. I guess everyone is either broke or they don't want to pull their ass up a mountain and eat instant oatmeal for five days. Anyone interested in joining me, and if you have points, lets talk. Still dreaming of that 180 inch mule deer every night before bed.

- Hitman

Good luck with what ever you end up doing. I am going back to Wy in 2011 for the first time since 94. Will be taking my son for antelope around Newcastle. DIY all the way and there's lots to research.

Newcastle lopes

Newcastle and Sheridan have land owner lists with phone numbers that you can call for hunting access to private property. Many of the landowners I spoke with this past year are very kind and will let you hunt lopes and whitetail does. When we drove from Gillette up to Sheridan, there were lopes everywhere, but access to private property would make it nice. Good luck with the hunt and research.
- hitman

I talked to the local game warden yesterday on the phone, extremely nice guy and bend over backwards to help. To me the name of land owners to try and what units to hunt. I was leaning towards 27 which is practically all public (thunder basin grassland) but it only has a 50/50 draw and the other units are 100% draw so he helped with it and the people I should contact in that unit. but I am waiting until November as it cattle time right now and they are pretty busy. Be sure to let me know how you do out there and good luck.

2011 wy diy

Get BLM maps early - order them on line. Concentrate on getting private land access to ranches that abut the public ground in places that have no easy road access. One land owner I spoke with in the Sheridan area said that I could walk across his property (about 1 mile) to access the back side of 15,000 acres of public land, and that the nearest road access on the public side was about 5 or 6 miles. He even said I could put a tent up on his property right next to the public. I offered to give the meat to his church, which he liked. Leftover whitetail doe tags are avaible for $52 each. I spoke with one land owner who said he has 300 whitetails in his alfalfa field every night, and I can shoot as many as I want. He said if I bring my ground blind, he could put me at the trail where they enter his field and I would have non stop action for 2 hours each night. Nearby motel is $36 per night with Trout Unlimited discount. FYI.

- Darby

You may want to look at unit 38 for archery elk. I hunted it his year and pulled the tag with three points (and the special license cost). The Hunting Fool ranked it higher than unit 37 for animal quality and access is great.

yep did that today order the 3 maps for the units we are looking at. Can't be out there for the opening week as my other son is getting married and the wife would kind a frown on it if I weren't there. So will be hunting the 10th -15th. Going to be hard I know with them being chased all over already. Kinda hoping that the rush is over and they have a day or 2 to calm down but not banking on it.

38 vs 37

thanks mdhunter. I am hearing good things about 38. I want to avoid paying the special tag fee if possible. Any photos of terrain or tent set up would be much appreciated. Just trying to get an idea of how much gear to lug up there. Any problems with wilderness boundaries preventing you from pursuing game? Thanks. hitman

If you have 4 points for elk put in for area 7 you will draw and there are some huge elk there. just my 2 cents.:D

Hitman
I am almost in the same boat. I am sitting on as many deer and elk points as you. I am debating what I want to do? The guy I normally hunt with dropped out buying points two years ago. Not sure if I want to go out on my own. Considered hiring a guide. Would rather go the DIY route if I could.

I've also been building up the points. Now have 5 for antelope, deer, and elk. Thinking of sticking w/ the red desert units for antelope as it'll probably be my only chance to hunt one of 'em. Pretty certain I'll stick w/ one of the so called "trophy" units for deer (if there is such a thing anymore), use the points, then try to pull a region G/H tag when I can. There are quite a few people with the same amount of points though, so who really knows when a guy will draw.
hitman, if you end up putting in for 38 I'd like to keep in touch as that's probably the unit I'll put in for.

mdhunter, wondering if you harvested in 38 and what do you figure was the average size of bulls you were into? I applied this yr but 4pts in the regular draw didn't get me in. Maybe next yr...

Anyone interested in joining me, and if you have points, lets talk.

See there is you problem. Don't be so selfish:D. Spread the point love.

I have your solution. Put me on your elk application.

I have 0 points, we then have 2 points.

Glad to have helped.

P1020648.jpg

P1020679.jpg

P1020715.jpg

More sales pitch!!

Had a small problem counting bulls. I only saw 3. The 2 standing and the lower bedded one. I wanted the lower bedded one. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this picture on the computer and saw many more.

P1020943.jpg

1,2,3 has to be him.

P1020953.jpg

Ooops!
Obviously need to watch my Seseme Street and the Count and learn to count to at least 11.

Attachments

• P1020946.jpg
    P1020946.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,729
I plan to hunt Wyoming elk again this year with two points. Not sure if I will be a as luck as ol' Dinkshooter in drawing these tags, but hope so.

Will hunt antelope again, even though I have no points. Just gonna be a left over or very marginal unit.

As far as deer, I have a better chance of winning the lottery, even with my max deer points. Not sure what WY has against me, but I have not drawn a first choice deer tag since I started applying in 1995, even with those expensive points I am accumulating.

WY is the one state I think non-residents can plan on hunting every other year, so long as they are happy with leftover tags or units that are not those published in the magazines. Left-over or marginal WY antelope every year is better than a Glamor Unit every ten years.

Probably the easiest state in the west to plan an On Your Own hunt. Good luck.

Don't listen to Fin. I need back up there. I need redemption.

Here's an offer, Dink. I have been helping a few guys who have max points. You tell us where you took those pics and shot that bull, and we put you and I on their applications.

Redemption will be yours. ;)

Done deal. Although, would you be uspet afterwards if I told you I drug the quarters to that bull 400 yards downhill to the truck?:D

Was my easiest elk pack ever!!

I'm maxed on deer and elk in WY. A good place to be. DInk swindled :hump:me out of some of my antelope points in 2009 but turned out the be the best lope hunt so far. I provided the points and he knew the unit. good deal all around.

Sheesh, you were even gyped out of a G3! :D

Nothing wrong with that bull...stop whining. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back