MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado Elk 2nd rifle season Questions

superslamhunter

Hi, ive been doing some research for a non resident over the counter elk tag for the 2nd rifle season in Colorado and had a few question. The smaller units like Unit 140 had a great percentage for elk last year but there was only 24 hunters why were there so little hunters? What other units would be good for 2nd rifle season?Once your in the unit do you just hunt anywhere in that whole unit or is there areas specificaly for hunting? and in 2nd rifle season can you still use a muzzle loader? any info would be real helpful.THANKS

So little hunters? Well, that's relative...:D But seriously, there are a ton of units in CO, many are OTC or require few points to draw. Since there are so many units, take your pick. You can find animals in pretty much all of them. If you're willing to get away from road hunters, you'll get into them. :D Again, if you draw a specific unit, you can hunt pretty much anywhere (although consider private property which would be excluded unless you have permission) but check to make sure there isn't some sort of private-type lease/rancher thing going on, as Randy found out not too long ago...:eek: Obviously no shooting in city limits either. As for ML, there's a specific season for it. You absolutely cannot ML hunt during rifle seasons. ML comes a few weeks before the 1st season rifle hunt.

You can use a muzzloader during the 2nd season. You could use a bow during the 2nd season. But do not handicap yourself against all the other guys out there, you will lose.

So few hunters hunters may mean it is almost all private land, just a guess, I don't even know where it is.

I hunt the 2nd season in units 71/711 it's tough hunting cause lots of people but if it snows up high you will see lots of elk in these units.I've also hunted above Lemon Lake Res. close to Durango lots of bulls there but its a tough climb to get back in to them plus private land around there so be careful of that.I also hunted the N.E. areas in Co. out of Hayden lots of elk there way back in the mountains away from all the other hunters.It's a great trip even if not lucky w/ the elk if you've never been it's well worth the time & effort.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back