Yeti GOBOX Collection

How much pork fat to add to make deer burger?

JohnSWA

Senior Thread Mover
Hi folks!

I just have a question about how much fat to add to the meat to make venison burger. I know that this has probably been mentioned before, but if you wouldn't mind helping me out, I'd sure appreciate it! Also, is pork fat better than beef fat for burger, or does it really matter? Thanks again!

5%-10% is the Running norm around here. Most people use Beef fat. Some people add Straight Beef adding some flavor and not as much fat to it. I have buddies that eat Venison due to the Lack of fat so they won't add any fat and jsut beef. Becasue you do nee to add something.

Thanks guys! I don't know why I was thinking pork fat. It's time to see the local meat cutter and get some beef fat! You guys ROCK!!!
biggrin.gif

John

Not over 15 to 20 percent absolute maximum!! (The more you use the better the flavor though!)
biggrin.gif
Pork fat isn't as tasty as beef fat or suet. Whichever you use, try to get it straight from the slaughter house where it won't have any added water. Trimmings always work the best. Measure the percentages out by weight. 1 pound to 10 is 10 percent. 2 pounds to 10 is 20 percent and so on. Make sure you don't use Reindeer!!

HO! HO! HO!

I go about 10% beef fat, maybe a little less.

In MT, I pay .50/#. Yesterday when I went to pick some up, most of the grocery stores thought it was a strange request, but said they would hold some and give it to me free if I could wait a day. I finally found some at Sturgis Meats and they charged .40/#.

What is the going rate for the rest of you and is it readily available?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-21-2003 14:27: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

What I have been doing for the past couple of years is adding 1 lb of beef hamburger (80-90% lean) to 1 lb of deer meat. Mix well and put into plastic game bags.

Pork fat over time some times has a tendancy to go rancid far faster than beef fat. I run at 10% or less also...My dad will by the cheap hamberger with lots of added fat and mix it with the wild meat I give him at a rate of about 50/50. Seems to work good for him...
biggrin.gif

i had a buddy that went to wy on a antalope hunt he got a buck an 2 does got back to phx took them to the butcher they added pork fat to the hamberger about 2 months later we had a cook out all the hamberger smelled bad an the dog wouldnt eat it ether thats why i use ground beef

I had jerky made from burger that was made with pork fat and it was like chit after several months in the freezer. The good beef fat will last a very long time.

Alright, I have a question. This is the second time I have heard of people adding fat to jerky. I have always tried to keep my jerky meat as lean as possible. What gives? IMO, fat in jerky tastes like crap.
confused.gif

MT,
I think the fundamental problem is people making Jerkey from ground burger.
mad.gif

Jerkey should be Lean, and cut from meat with a knife. Cut everything that is not Lean and Red off, and then make the Jerkey, IMHO...
cool.gif

i dont add any fat to my burger. if i want beef ill eat beef. if you use it for anything other than buger patties you dont get the grease floating on top

Good info here. We,like tnctcb, don't add anything to our burger. We just started making hot sticks and bolonga and we do add lean ground beef at 5lbs to 20lbs of grind.

We don't mix anything with our venison either. Love it just the way it is. We butcher our own too. Don't like processor's, most of them are backyard butchers, and not sure how clean they are. Not sure if its your deer you get back, or someone that left it lay in the sun for a couple of days. I know my deer is mine.

I live within a stone's throw of a slaughter house. They collect their kills on Monday morning and kill and process in one day. I can get suet or pork fat there anytime for fifteen cents a pound. I get several pounds of each for adding to ground meats, making bird feeder goodies, or for the pets. There scrap buckets are filled with hooves and raw bones that the dogs just love.

We add pork fat or trimmings to make sausage, beef fat or trimmings to grind burger. If you don't intend to form patties and make hamburgers, don't add fat to the meat, just to the pan to prevent sticking. I think deer is too lean to make a good burger without added fat. JMO, Mike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back