Powerbelt Bullets

Rooster52

Pros and cons. I get good accuracy with Powerbelts and we have taken 4 bull elk and several deer with them.
How do they preform for you ?

I've used the hollowpoint with good success on deer. I knew that the bullet would mushroom quickly but have been surprised to literally find it in many chunks in the carcass. It works fine for deer but I sure wouldn't use it on anything bigger than that.

Which one do you use for elk? One of the aerotips?

I was kinda being a smarty pants. They do seem to be about one of the few bullets that shoot with Colorado rules in guns with that funny starter area at the muzzle. I'm not sure what else you are supposed to expect?

Last edited:
I use the 270 gr aero tips and have taken a few deer with them and they have performed well. The main reason I like them is they shoot accurately.

personally, I don't like the powerbelts. A few years back, a buddy and me did some testing when we got serious about muzzleloading. Powerbelts had the worst accuracy of any we tested and had an average weight retention in the 60% range. I have now doubt people have been successful with them but for me they just don't compare to the hornadys or dead centers.

I have used PBs on deer, hogs, sheep, pronghorns and even got some 50 cal 444 gr copper jacket flat nose that dropped a water buffalo with one shot. Had to call the factory for those. Not sure if they still make them. 100% weight retention. I'm a fan

PB shoot really well in my 3 muzzle loaders. I think I've tried half a dozen sizes as well and killed probably a dozen or more animals with them, deer only. After digging a few out, I didn't think I would use them on anything bigger... They're pure lead, vs others that are an alloy and a touch harder.

I've found probably half a doze power belts. Everyone I recovered looked like these. flat as a pancake about half the starting weight. (that's a quarter for comparison)

I think I've taken 5 (elk, caribou, 3x deer) animals with No Excuses... no comparison IMO. They shoot just as well, and hold together. This NE was out of my caribou last fall, shot was about 80 yards or so. Found under the hide on the opposite side. The PBs I've found were all in the chest cavity, rarely penetrating both lungs. The NE will blow through every time on deer size game.

Attachments

• 2014-03-31_18-24-16_594.jpg
    2014-03-31_18-24-16_594.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 764
  • 2014-03-31_18-27-48_60.jpg
    2014-03-31_18-27-48_60.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 572
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members