Caribou Gear

Mighty Blacktails Take #2

The Hedgehog

Try two. They are really cute and appear to inhabit some beautiful countryside.. similar to something out of the Lord of the Rings...

I hear the hunting is easy and want to take my son to hunt a little deer and bear before turning 12. Is the hunting experience enough to make up for a trophy with such dwarf stature? Or is this something that should be left to the Hobbit?
Anybody ever hunted them.. other than this chick?
994822601_l.jpg

Buzz said:
I'd rate them along the lines of antelope hunting down here. Not a matter of "if" you are going to kill one on any day you want...just a matter of sorting through a bunch of average ones to kill a good one.

The country is spectacular though. I've hunted a place or two and I would rate my Kodiak hunt for blacktails as one of the most unique and down right beautiful places I've ever been. The deer hunting itself was about 10% of what made that trip for me. In fact, I guess I'd say the deer hunting was just a darn good excuse to be on Kodiak Island.

I also think the coloration and capes on mature sitka blacktail bucks are much better than whitetail and mule deer, IMO.

I have to admit though, that if I were to hunt them all the time...it would likely get boring.

Gay Man said:
Dumbhorn, It is beyond fairly obvious,that noone hasa greater Sitka compilation than I.................
SeptAlpine07A.jpg
And to that KimLeeJung says:
That's like saying that you have the largest collection of once bit Moon Pies. Who cares? Real men get away from the shores, get off the islands, and go into the interior where the manly creatures are, instead of an inbreed deer population.

Hopefully this one's not a rerun.. let's see some midget deer in dwarfvillle...

No they aren;t the biggest trophy out there but they are one of the prettiest.
I thought it would be a great hunt for a kid. Country is pretty steep but you just have to go slow and break trail for them. My only concern with taking my twelve year old was the bears. Wasn't to concerned for myself but a kid is just more thing to worry about. But with the fishing and duck hunting also available on Kodiak I think any kid would have a blast.
Here is one from out trip last year.

I don't know why these pictures keep comin up so small!!!

first off, if you really want to enjoy hunting them, ya gotta get the size outa yer head, they aren't whitetail...they are not mule deer, gotta love them fro what they are, the prettiest deer out there, mor markin's than anything i've ever seen.
Some call them stupid, but somehow very very few people shoot big ones....they don't jump when you walk by sometimes, makin' them very hard to see, they like alpine country up very very high in the weahter or rut hasnt' pushed them down (kodiak i'm talking here, now PWS) They are heavier than they look, very muscular.
One of my favorite hunts in alaska. like it was posted earlier kodiak is very steep, if you take a kid there make sure he's in some sorta shape and not playstation shape, go later in november when the deer should be pushed down lower and just educate him on the bears a bit and if you see one, watch and it and don't freak out, that way he won't freak out if he sees one going to the crapper or something, the bears will leave you alone, if they didn't you'd hear about waves of guys getting nailed every fall deer season but it just happens soooooo rarely, most guys just get scared by them and dont' take the time to really get to know them...lol
feel freet to PM me if you'd like with specific questions i guide deer down there so have some experience with different people hunting these deer.

Bummer,a guy can only hang 11 pics at a whack. In no particular order.................

NovGrampaBuckB.jpg

GreatOne06.jpg

TripleThreat.jpg

DaveBuckA.jpg

DoubleNice.jpg

MassTypical.jpg

Pirate_Buck_03.jpg

BuckRedfield.jpg

Breakfast_Buck_Velvet.jpg

SisterRutE.jpg

RutSHAMU.jpg

Big Stick, that buck in picture #5 is a stud. Looks like it's the one that brought you closest to smiling as well. Nice pics.

NICE! Was the guy in the real scenic photo trying to arrow one initially? Just noticed the armguard.

A good pard's Grandfather had never chased/killed a Sitka,despite being a life long resident,so I took him out one afternoon. His hopes were to kill one with his Black Widow longbow/POC shafts and feathers,but we were split up for most the day and I never paired with him to call one in.

Spied that Buck in heavy cover,setup the shot and camera both and offered him to Pop's ala my 1-7.7" Kreiger 22-250AI scooting Scirocco II's at 3450fps.

Pretty easy to see trace and him being frozen. Noone else in the party could see him,until directed...but I've never seen anyone rival my ability with bino's.

Link................

Spitz,

120-inchers don't grow on trees.

He's beyond stupendous...................

Top pic has long been a fav of mine...probably the best in your collection.

Dude - Did you loan that guy your motorbike?

Is that all you got for photos? I'm sorta bummed that it's all the bigger they get.. hard to get excited about.. but it looks fun, especially some of the countryside and velvet bucks. Later capes sure look better though..

They're a long ways beyond you,but you're welcome to your dreams.................

There has been on long-standing rule here that is going to be enforced..it has lapsed recently. No name-calling, no changing of people's log-in names, etc. outside of the "restricted" sections like Current Events and Sportsman's Issues. I can't be online every second, but.....

'Hunter,

Open another box of Cracker Jack's and have a new plastic Moderator Badge to try out?

If there was an IQ Test and a hetero only Rule requisite,I'd be here by myself.

Someone will undoubtedly have to explain that to you.................

So I don't even get the satisfaction of seeing what creative names he can come up with? Calif Hunter.. come on.. that's gay.

Jose bashes me constantly about enforcing this rule impartially. If you are okay with Big Stick calling you names, then I have no problem with it. Moosie owns this forum and he has made that rule...not me.

Big Stick - if you don't like the rules, don't post here. I'm sure someone of your lofty intellect can understand that.

Calf Hunter, take a look at the nice deer photos on this thread, the humorous banter, and the view count by interested hunters. Release your forum moderator authority gayness and let it go. Nobody cares how much anybody bashes you.. toughen up. The only one ruining this thread so far is y.o.u.

Gay man.. is that all you got?

Back